Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting my VH Soul Red. What would look best for engine bay and door jams

Holty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Im about to have my car painted in Mazda Soul Red. Its a bit of a tricky paintjob. Should I paint the engine bay and door jams in a slightly different colour which is easier to paint? If so, what do you think would be a similar match. Need some serious help in answering this one guys. Pic for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010_113105.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010_113105.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 113

Holty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Thats what I was thinking. The panel spray guy is telling me its a lengthy process laying down the coats and is telling me these areas wont be seen as much so will be easier and quicker laying down a similar colour thats not so difficult. I think a different colour will stand out like dogs balls when you open the doors and bonnet

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I thought about getting my vh painted this colour. That Mazda colour looks fantastic. Some one on this forum mentioned that they could supply the paint and said it was about $1900 for the paint alone. He mentioned that the paint will not match the Mazda colour due to the way that Mazda paint their cars. They paint with robots in a criss cross method. The mustang has a very similar colour as does Toyota but i have no idea if it would be as expensive.

i do agree that if you are going to spend quite a bit of money getting your car painted then it would have to look right

Holty78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Its definitely an amazing colour and the spray guys happy to paint it that colour but said it will be a stuff around doing door jams and engine bay (time comsuming). What colour did you end up going Keith Reed?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thats what I was thinking. The panel spray guy is telling me its a lengthy process laying down the coats and is telling me these areas wont be seen as much so will be easier and quicker laying down a similar colour thats not so difficult. I think a different colour will stand out like dogs balls when you open the doors and bonnet

Look at it as why buy 2 different colours? Seems like a waste of money doesn't it....

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Ha this is weird, I was driving along today and saw a Soul Red Mazda and thought “I wonder what the VE would like Soul Red”?
Do it all the same colour. You will regret it if you don’t I think.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its definitely an amazing colour and the spray guys happy to paint it that colour but said it will be a stuff around doing door jams and engine bay (time comsuming). What colour did you end up going Keith Reed?
venetian red

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree about painting it the same colour. I can see why the painter said to consider the not so seen areas in a different colour. The Mazda red is one of the hardest colours to paint as just one extra coat or a thicker coat is enough to change the colour. Crash repairs don't like painting it as its a prick to match existing panels. You will likely find it is a slightly different colour in the bay and jambs regardless just because of the way it lays on.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had heard Mazda had problems with the paint chipping. I don't know if they solved the problem.