Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting... some advice

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Hi guys

Have delved into learning how to do some painting. Have started by doing some simple things and so far really happy with results.

I have just started playing with wet sanding the clear acrylic and then cutting with a compound. Thrilled with the glass effects im getting. I know this all sounds a bit gay maybe to guys who have been painting for years but I have never done it.

Anyway, i want to try something else. I have painted something with a gloss enamel this time. I also have a clear enamel to go over the top. I know last time, when using acrylics, i only wet sanded the clear to bring back. My question is, is it the same with enamel? I guess the reason i ask is i have noticed a few runs in the colour.

So do i sand out the runs, then repaint with colour and then paint clear and then wet sand the clear

or

do i simply sand out the runs and then paint the clear and then sand out the clear.

Thanks in advance for the advice for a really noob question.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
its actually just a VHT heatproof. Grabber green its called. Its an engine enamel. But Im hoping once i find the solution i can apply it to any enamel

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate. So another question. If the gloss green was fine and I wanted to put a clear over for protection, would I leave green alone, spray clear, then sand for a smooth finish.

Thanks again

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i think youre overcomplicating a really easy task.

step 1. clean surfaces thoroughly
step 2. spray colour
step 3.... there is no step 3.

i noticed your other post about using an etch primer on calipers, VHT doesnt need a primer, and by using one (espeically one that isnt designed for high temps) its just gonna get hot and lift.

seriously VHT is bullet proof. just smash on as much paint as you like till it looks good then put it all back together.

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate thanks again.

I'll take on board stuff about VHT. As for my caliper 'technique' it was just something that worked.

How about if it was just a solid everyday enamel. Say orange. And it had issues.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
enamel, from a rattle can? i dont have much expierence with enamel, so will have to wait for someone who does.

my opinion of the steps to applying colour with any rattle cans are the same as post #6. they are all hit-and-miss anyway, so may as well just take the shortest approach.

when you start talking about 2k from a gun, then it starts to get complicated.