Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Vc. Acrylic. Help

Jacksonr15

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc commodore
Hi guys, I have a vc commodore and am wanting to paint it. It has come to my attention that it is painted in acrylic paint. Do I have to strip it all to bare metal and 1k and 2k prime it to paint a water based paint or is there another way around it that doesn’t involve going all the way to bare metal? I’ve been told by a spray painter if you spray a 2k over a acrylic base the primer will stay soft and won’t look great when it’s painted. If the only option to not go bare metal is to paint in acrylic what is a suitable high build primer for acrylic. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Plenty of people do it using a sealer. As long as the acrylic isn’t still gassing off you can get away with it. Most pro’s won’t guarantee their work in this scenario, or will flat out refuse to do it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Agreed. Full prime to seal off all paint. Then work from there.
Bare metal or down to original base coat would be ideal, but not usually practical without being a full restoration job on the car.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Last edited: