Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting with premixed paint

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon VDJ79 series cab chassis
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with premix paint in the spray cans? Like, fast fading or peeling, and if it's worth painting with them or not.
Cheers, -Zac

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It depends on what you're painting. Acrylic paint will fade much more quickly than 2 pack paint and won't be as durable, keeping in mind that you need to use a clear coat over metallic/pearl colours. Spraying from a can won't be able to match the finish that spraying with a gun will produce, and won't be a proper match against your existing paint.

If you're fussy, it's probably best to get a professional to paint it for you

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
premix paint is fine for touching up small marks/chips. For larger jobs the paint needs to be professionally matched especially if a metallic...if its just one panel thats removable its normally cheaper and easier to find a good replacement panel of the same color...If you go down the pro route make sure they are good at color matching and blending, as the ones that did my left pass guard and bonnet weren't and it looks ****....

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
I saw a person on JC that painted his car with a paint roller, would the premix cans be better than that? And yeah I was going to clear coat the **** out of it as my paint code is B148 bottanicca Blue Mica. Metallic. Thanks the help.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
I did mine with the pre mix cans, it is a slightly different shade, yes, but on a sunny day, you can't tell. My only issue is with the cost of the cans, to get my whole kit done, it cost me $300 for the mixed cans, and the coats aren't quite thick enough. It starts to peel in random spots, and that isn't fun. I'm gonna get it resprayed probably once I get the coin together. It's alright if you want to get it neat quick, but for long periods, get it done properly.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I saw a person on JC that painted his car with a paint roller, would the premix cans be better than that?

Again, depends on what you're doing (maybe you should mention this).

The roller method is extremely time consuming. On top of that it requires you to mix down your own paint for application, and loooots of wet sanding in between layers if you want it to look good. That member used some single stage polyurethane enamel for his job, so you also have to obtain that and have it mixed to your colour.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
A lot of it is also about the preparation. That's why you get peeling and poor finish. You haven't mentioned how much you need painted. As EYY mentioned there will be a difference with acrylic and 2 pack.

You don't know anyone in the panel game? There always seems to be a spraypainter after some extra coin doing jobs out of hours.

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know a few people in panelbeating actually close friends, I just want to be able to paint my own car for once haha

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Dunno about painting the entire car in cans.... I'd imagine your wrists would be in agony after a mission like that.
The prep work would be more time consuming than painting and then getting the paint on and not leaving the primer open to the air absorbing moisture and crap means it'd have to be painted quickly (not over weeks),

The color match cans are good for touchups. I did a full rear quarter panel, majority of the back end to blend and match and few touchups on the doors a while ago on a car and it came out pretty good, better than the caved in quarter caused by another tard driver, but it was a plain color so it was fairly easy, if you were thinking metallic paints then it'd probably look like crap.