Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting

Vy_rizza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VyComodoreS2 spack
Hi im thinking about painting my interior trim (around the cdplayer and stuff) and im just wondring on how and what kind of paint i should use? and if u can instructions on how to do it and if i can do it with spray paint.

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I would reccomend that you get a pro to do it for you. To do it yourself you need a can of flexiprime a can of paint (the colour of your choice), a can of clear coat, some fine grade sand paper and some cut n' polish. These will cost you about $80 - $100. I can't imagine that a pro would me much more than that but they will do a much better job than someone with spraycans. Hope this helps buddy.:thumbsup:

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
Primer is the most important part.. you need to prep the plastic right then use a suitable primer for that surface..

Id dismantle it and get a pro to do it also.. way easier :p

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
just go to super sheap auto. and get 1 can a wheel silver, at a max it is $15. i just had to make sure that u put it on in very thin coats allowing in to try fully in between coats so that it didnt run.
works great,

not the best of pictures buy you get the idea of the colour.

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 321

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim

Trip to Repco:
$15 - Clear, all surface primer
$15 - "Arctic Ice" Silver Spray Can

Method:
*With masking tape, mask up, parts that you dont want painted.
*With a rag, lightly wipe down "to be painted" surface with methylated spirits to ensure a clean surface.
*Spray 3 coats of primer, allow to "touch dry"(Touch the paint with finger tip, if no piant sticks to your finger tip, apply the next coat, if it does stick, wait some more) before applying next coat
*Spray 3 coats of silver, allow to "touch dry" before applying next coat

NOTE!:
BECAREFUL! When putting items back into the dash, they may scratch!!!
Hope this is helpful .... took about an hour to do.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
nice results to the both of you. Call me thick but I don't know how to get the parts to be painted off. Not that I have tried but I have no idea anyway.

Parts I want to paint:
main console trim like above
Maybe get the top piece (where gauges go) either air brushed or paint black with a red holden logo done with a stencil or something.
air vents
speedo cluster surround

Also, my steering wheel spokes are looking a bit weathered and I was thinking of painting them silver like the SS ones. How would I do this? Just pool some paint and use a brush? Any help would be great.

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
well i painted my;
air-con ducts
centre console
rear of center console. ( around rear air-con ducts )
around speedo cluter and even went a little further and pulled my cluster apart and painted around the guages silver also.

all can be removed easliy just do some searches on here and there is great explainations on how to pull it all apart.

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
yeah theres a thread in the "How To" section ... i went by that, the gauge bit u can take off with a flat head screw driver if memory serves me well

cheers for the feedback

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Neb

What range of paints is Arctic Ice covered by? And did you cover the silver with clear laquer to prevent it going dull with time?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Neb mate,

How did you remove the speedo surround? I've done a lot of searching and can't find a "how-to". Same with the wheel spokes. I've heard it is a bitch to do because of having to remove airbag. How you do it? I was thinking of pooling some paint and just using a brush to do very, very light coats to avoid it running and tape off the wheel itself. You have done a good job on it so any help is great.