Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Panel van project car

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Nahh, I've never driven one before. But I figure that I've driven heaps of other manuals out there (synchro, non-synchro, bike), a column shouldn't be that much harder to learn, although it will take a bit of getting used to.

Plus, it will stop anyone but me from driving the car (hopefully).

Hmmm.... im sure you would get used to column after a while, but honestly ive drivin 2 different manual columns, and they are just poo. Seriously just terrible.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You can buy a kit to convert them to floor shifts. The old ford column shift is known for
getting stuck between 1st and 2nd when they get a bit worn

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
I can't believe some of you guys - the three on the tree is an Australian Automotive Icon.

I learnt to drive in a manual column shift H.Q. and never thought twice about it...I ended up owning the car a few years later and it was still fine...I even taught several female partners how to use the thing...seriously, it's not that hard...the biggest problem that H series column shifters had was a tendancy to occasionally get their linkages a bit jambed up as they got older, but this isn't a hard fix.

O.K. they're never going to be a short shifting racing monster, but Shounak has already categorised that this isn't what he is after anyway...not that you can't pull some moves with a column shifter...

Perfect for cruising, your hand moves a lot less distance from the wheel when you are changing gear and most importantly it facillitates the inclusion of a bench seat - another design classic.

If you want a really poor gear changing set up try driving a Citroen 2CV - 3 speed manual dash mounted H pattern shifter.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Thanks guys. And very good point Struma, the other reason I wanted a column is because they have a bench seat. Much better than two buckets.

I've decided to give the panel van above on on eBay a miss. The seller won't post many pictures, even on request. He's mentioned a few things wrong with it (bog and rust), but won't show any close ups. I'd rather not buy something I can't inspect that could be a problem.

Time to start hunting for the perfect bomb to do up.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey y'all,

I'm looking into a panel van as project car and the Falcons seem the go. I've found a column shift manual that's road registered in Sydney and am strongly considering getting it.

Anyone know what to look out for or how they go with parts? I'm thinking it should be alright, can't be too expensive, there are millions of em about.

Rust rust and more rust. Around the roof, doors, (rarely) sills. Motors are getting pretty shagged these days. Overall they are very strong but getting good 2nd handies are very hard. Everything else is as cheap as chips.

I'd go for a WB project myself each to their own.

Reaper