Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parked in handicapped zone.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
It is an awfully grey area.

There are way too many things to take into consideration. Without knowing how they make their decision on whether or not you get a permit we can't even guess as to what it entails, and for all we know the individuals, or companies, or medical professionals, or whoever they are who decide this may or may not be biased, and variations most likely occur letting some people have a permit who may not necessarily need it all the time, and others who do deserve one miss out.

For some people walking with an aid may not be a problem, but for others BAD pain can cause you to be immobile.
Of course there would be certain people who should get one without a doubt, if you have lost a limb for example.

Regardless, if someone parks in a disabled spot with a legitimate permit, then it really isn't anyone else's business to decide as to if they look disabled or not, or should be parking there or not; for all we know they could have a kid, or a partner with a bad disability in the car (who gets out, I feel like they shouldn't be parking there if the disabled person isn't getting out of the car, that's just being lazy).

Now if they don't have a permit, like many people we see out there who park in these spaces, that's a different story.

Individuals

You may be able to apply for an Australian permit if you are a Queensland resident and 1 of the following applies to you:
•unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair
•ability to walk is severely restricted by a permanent medical condition or ability to walk is severely restricted by a temporary medical condition or disability that you will have for 6 months or more as certified by your doctor or occupational therapist.

Applicants with intellectual, psychiatric, cognitive or sensory impairment alone do not meet the eligibility criteria unless the applicant also has a mobility impairment that impacts on their ability to walk

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
In my opinion being in pain but still being able to walk without aids is not a disability.
to me a disabled person is someone who cannot walk unaided or is confined to a wheelchair.

i used to think this too
until i suffered massive trauma to my leg from getting t-boned while on a motorbike and had to learn to walk again.
i could walk without an aid but i could only walk 100m or so due to the pain

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
In my opinion being in pain but still being able to walk without aids is not a disability.
to me a disabled person is someone who cannot walk unaided or is confined to a wheelchair.
Tell my partner that !
She is recovering from stage 3 breast cancer ,had all her lymph nodes removed on one side and muscle has fused to her rib cage so she cant carry anything too far, but to look at her she seems healthy.
In my book your opinion dont count for much.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is that a permanent problem or only temporary during recovery?

You see, I know a few people who have recovered from breast cancer and although the recovery is tough after a full mastectomy and lymph nodes and reconstruction with time things come right.

Isn't pain a right of passage with age? I've not been pain free for more than a couple of days since I destroyed my shoulder some 18 months ago and will probably never be pain free again unless I don't use the arm/shoulder which isn't really an option. Doesn't mean I'm going to get a disabled sticker for my car. It's also a given that things will get worse with age but i'm not going to cry over spilt milk either.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Tell my partner that !
She is recovering from stage 3 breast cancer ,had all her lymph nodes removed on one side and muscle has fused to her rib cage so she cant carry anything too far, but to look at her she seems healthy.
In my book your opinion dont count for much.

she's not disabled she's recovering from an illness and surgery so she probably shouldn't be carrying anything at all and possibly shouldn't be driving if it's as bad as you claim.
but I'm assuming she can still walk.
But hey if you can rort the system who am i to stand in your way

Last edited:

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Is that a permanent problem or only temporary during recovery?

Its permanent.
She is also battling Lymphoma , which can only get worse so we are looking around for a new car for her that is an auto .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The question of whether pain is serious enough to impede your capacity to ambulate becomes an issue with age as asked by immortality. It's where the pain is located that has the greatest effect on walking and the most obvious areas are the legs and spine.

Unfortunately for most of us, those two areas are the ones that you will eventually start to suffer discomfort and it doesn't get any better with time. In 2006, at the age of 54, I required an arthroscopy on my knee. Xrays showed the cartilage had severely narrowed and bone was revealed in one spot. The doctor said to me then that the knee would eventually need replacement but said to hang on to the original as long as possible.

Nine years later, the knee is weak and gives me a lot of trouble over uneven ground. Despite that, I am still actively engaged in restoring an old house, climbing ladders, kneeling down, twisting and turning the way you have to when working on plumbing, painting, roofing etc. The knee doesn't impede driving yet, but eventually, it will. Walking on even ground is ok, even over long distances.

Yet, other people with similar injuries have those disabled stickers because, with severe arthritis in knees and ankles, it's easy to convince a doctor and authorities that your capacity to walk any sort of distance is reduced severely.

I might have to seek one of those permits eventually, but I sure won't be hurrying to the doc to get it.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
I Think for some of us it is pride that gets in our way to getting this type of thing.

If a person struggles to walk the distance IMHO they deserve a disabled spot, if they find it hard to get out of the car also. The disabled bays are much larger which means you can get out more comfortably this is what they're designed for.

i don't agree with minor discomfort gaining these kinds of things but they have their place when needed.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Isn't pain a right of passage with age? I've not been pain free for more than a couple of days since I destroyed my shoulder some 18 months ago and will probably never be pain free again unless I don't use the arm/shoulder which isn't really an option. Doesn't mean I'm going to get a disabled sticker for my car. It's also a given that things will get worse with age but i'm not going to cry over spilt milk either.

depends if the pain is causing disability, which is was in my case.
after 6months or so, i had recovered enough that i could give my disabled permit back.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute

depends if the pain is causing disability, which is was in my case.