Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parkers and Tail Lights stuck on!! (Liberty)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I was having tea with the gf at a friends place tonight and the neighbours informed us that the lights were on on my Subaru Liberty.

I thought nah can't be right as the lights turn off when you switch off the ignition... But go out there... And they're on.

Open the car... Go to switch the lights off..BUT the light switch was already switched to OFF?

Any ideas what may cause this? I will check the parker relay in case its stuck on and also the stalk, but other than that I have no ideas.

I am leaning towards the alarm as the parkers and tail lights flash once when the alarm goes is locked/unlocked. Maybe a buggered module or short or something. But im gonna book it in for a new alarm as this one is rather old so I want to rule out other options BEFORE I do that :p

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Yea my first guess was alarm too, otherwise could be some frayed wires somewhere shorting out. I guess you could test the alarm module to check if it is the problem.. should be able to tell by taking a multimeter to the output of the alarm module that connects to the lights. If its working correctly my guess is there should be little to no voltage recorded on it. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge on alarms could shed some more light?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea my first guess was alarm too, otherwise could be some frayed wires somewhere shorting out. I guess you could test the alarm module to check if it is the problem.. should be able to tell by taking a multimeter to the output of the alarm module that connects to the lights. If its working correctly my guess is there should be little to no voltage recorded on it. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge on alarms could shed some more light?

I was thinking earlier that the wire on the alarm that causes the parkers to flash is a power sender, so it SHOULD have a fuse on it. If I can find that wire and pull out the fuse that should tell me if its the alarm or not (if the lights are still on with fuse pulled its not the alarm... If they turn off... It is the alarm). I just have to find out where that wire is :p

If its a stuck relay that would be an absolute bonus though, but its never that simple or cheap.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I'm sure you know your car, but I had a '92 L series that had a switch on top of the steering column that was the position lights (parkers) that would turn the lights on anytime with ignition on or off. just thought I would add this out of interest.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
lol yeah I checked that too last night when I got it to my gf's place.

Thanks for that though man cause its something i'd be likely to do... Like when the tv won't turn on and I spend 10 minutes tryin to figure out why and its switched off at the powerpoint :p

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
^:rofl:^ or like when I try to start the mower and it won't start, so I start checking every thing only to discover I turned the fuel tap off not on.:bang:

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
I'm sure you know your car, but I had a '92 L series that had a switch on top of the steering column that was the position lights (parkers) that would turn the lights on anytime with ignition on or off. just thought I would add this out of interest.

i was going ot suggest the same thing, i had a 93 lib and the same thing happened.
for soem reason i touched the cluster and flicked the switch and didnt realise it lol