Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parts like plugs, filters...which is best

WhiteVY

Reaction score
All,

I about to embark on a serious amount of work on my VYII. Usually it goes to the mech for a service, but it's time I showed more of an interest.

My question is what differences have you seen in the disposable components for the VY. I am looking to buy some NGK plugs (BPR6EFS-15), but was curious if they are the top level or not. I have also been told that any K&N filter is worthy.

Are there any premium components that any of you use that might be worth the investment? I don't mind the extra cost as long as they are of higher standard.

Here's the list for 3.8 auto 2004 with 80k on board

Oil Filter
Oil
Spark Plugs
Plug Wires
Auto Trans Filter and fluid
Fuel Filter
Air Filter (ther is apparently no substitute for K&N??)
Injector Cleaner
Throttle Body cleaner

This is not everything as the mech will still look after the big jobs that I haven't got the time for.

Most of this is available from holden but I thought if I spend the weekend under, next to and on top of my car, I might as well put the savings into some decent parts and if anyone know the VY, it's you guys.

Cheers and great site, I'll spend some time on this one, me thinks.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
oil filter- if you want the best, run a std spin on ( holden, ryco etc) in addition to a bypass filter- cost about $100 but filters much finer. Replace the bypass filter cartridge for about $8
oil iI've got my favourite
plugs- i have had good experience with bosch super 4's, but cant comment if they are worth the extra expense. Both cars I used them on definantly ran smoother.
leads- undecided. Have had problems with the Bosch, but not major problems. Things like having to spend time on them ensuring proper connection each end.
Tranny filter & fluid- fluid choice (I mean brand) wont make much difference, perticularly if you are not pumping out all of the old fluid. filter- dont know, I usually use generic
Air filter- anything not REPCO brand. I've heard so many stories of them clogging very early.
Injector cleaner- again, my favourite
tb cleaner- any carby cleaner. Havent found much difference between brands

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
im also wondering what would be the best type of oil, plugs and leads to use? Cost doesnt really matter aslong as the ride is better

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i'm a mechanic and i try to use genuine parts as much as possible, as what was used at factory is what they recomend, i don't work for holden, but in all my commodores, iv used only genuine service parts, i did use a k+n panel filter for a bit more throttle responce and yes there is a k+n panel filter for your vy, it should be the same as for vt/vx, engine filter, trans filter, fuel filter and spark plugs i would use the genuine holden filters and plugs, transmission i would use what holden use which is castrol dexron 3, u can buy from holden or auto barn, repco, this is a widely used auto trans fluid in the automotive industry, engine oil, either what holden use or castrol magnatec 10w/40(very good oil), plug wires/leads, either genuine or top gun leads, throttle body cleaner nulons carby/throttle body clean(used it at my old work, can't beat it) also clean the stepper motor/idle air control valve these get glagged up use the carby/throttle clean for this too, injector cleaner wynns injector clean(small purple bottle), diff oil, if doing i would use genuine diff oil if possible too, hope this helps.

WhiteVY

Reaction score
Cheers...

Thanks for the great replies. I had read in the past that the factory spec plugs were ordinary (although I can't remember the source of this comment) and this got me thinking about what bits are best and what I've used in the past.

I have used Bosch plugs in the past on a...[cough]...[splutter]....Nissan with 200k on the clock and it definatley tidied it up a bit. I reckon I'll go for those.

I have Dexron III through my P/Steer and Trans. To keep it simple and to spec, I'll stick to that.

I'll look into the injector cleaners gear. It was mentioned on this site somehwere that manual clean of injectors is better than an additive clean. Any thoughts? To me it makes sense to hit them with a scrub first then maintai it with an additive?

Also, is there any gain to a stock 3.8L having a Dyno tune? My car ex-SAPOL and has no fancy stuff beyond a Calais kit all-round and 17in VZ rims. There is heaps of talk about dynos here and I imagine they are best left to the spec'd out cars?

Thnaks a heap, guys.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh your better to get the injectors cleaned properly and the little filters in the replaced then keep clean with additive, check how much this will cost u and how much new ones are as iv been told new ones are cheap these days, upto u if u want to get it dyno tuned, personal choice, u can always get better than the factory tune, but its whether u think its worth it or not.

WhiteVY

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, cbait. I'll shop around for a price on the injectors.

Dyno? Not sure on that, I'll see what happens...doubtful any gain will be value for money at this stage, though.