Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passenger airbag cover lifting.

Jaym

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina
so gluing it on the 'door' will not affect the air bag functionality?
can anyone provide pictures or instructions on how to do this properly?
cheers
CC
Yes its an old thread, BUT im sure people over the past few years have fixed there covers, so would like to see some options

Cheers
Jay

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
I wouldn't touch it with glue mate but the airbag is a big useless in the way it i now my brothers VS is doing the same thing.

the airbag is meant to tear out the bottom and the cover will go up toward the windscreen right now the passenger will cop an airbag cover in their face so if it worry's you get i fixed i recommend professionally.

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
Bad news I heard that you have to remove the whole dash to get under it - not sure but definitely a big job, I just glued mine on the airbag door and its perfect. You need very strong glue and be patient especially for someone who has to hold the cover down while it dries.

u got pics of ur dash with the re glued cover

Last edited:

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
Yeah mines been warped since i bought it, Im looking at getting it replace but im not going to spend more than about $400, Any more than that and it can stay the way it is.

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
I wouldn't touch it with glue mate but the airbag is a big useless in the way it i now my brothers VS is doing the same thing.

the airbag is meant to tear out the bottom and the cover will go up toward the windscreen right now the passenger will cop an airbag cover in their face so if it worry's you get i fixed i recommend professionally.

the airbag door and the cover were glued together from the factory....over time the glue holding the cover on has let go, so all that has to be done is to re-glue the thing down. if the airbag goes off, the airbag door and cover shoot towards the windscreen, not towards the passenger's face!

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
we glued one a couple of weeks ago. clean under the cover gently. put on a contact adhesive and let it take dry. roll your set down a bit and put a board onto the seat top and the dash. put bricks on it to hold it. saves being patient and holding it. i havnt spoken to my mate yet to find out if it worked

ravenator88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim SII
i have wanted to touch it for fear of airbag faults in the future. iv just found a dash cover and thats about half an inch thick and thats made it hardly noticeable... of course mine isnt as bad as others iv seen

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
glued mine, no drama, as long as the glue is placed where the original glue was. i take no responsibility for people attempting it and then having an accident and it not deploying. this has worked for me (obviously not tested) but its easy to follow the original lines of glue.
will post pictures later
may also need a brick wrapped in a cloth to hold it whilst the glue sets

Jacesv

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS HSV CLUBSPORT
the amount of power used when the airbag is deployed is more than enough to break the glues grip on the cover and metal door

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
the amount of power used when the airbag is deployed is more than enough to break the glues grip on the cover and metal door

I'm glad we waited over 3 years for this....