Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCV Hose Split?

[ASLYVY]

DavidP
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
Hey guys,

started up my VY Series II just the other day to go down to ballan holden to have the back brake discs machined when after about 5 seconds, there was a massive what sounded like a backfire

after this the car started to shake alot and sounded and felt like it was going to stall (even though its an automatic lol)

all the way to ballan holden i thought the thing was about to stall and had to keep it in neutral at traffic lights and slightly keep the revs up every now and then.

ballan checked over the engine and found the PCV hose had split

was in kind of a rush and did not think to ask what a PCV hose does?..lol

any information would be very appriciated, thanks guys

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I have a feeling that the PVC hose their talking about is the vac line. Mine had popped off after the engine had some work done to it, and yea, it was stalling all the time and just not keeping the revs up. Although it would start after a few shots and i was quick enough to get it into drive and going! Got it to the mechanic that did the work and they fixed it up straight away.

[ASLYVY]

DavidP
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
I have a feeling that the PVC hose their talking about is the vac line. Mine had popped off after the engine had some work done to it, and yea, it was stalling all the time and just not keeping the revs up. Although it would start after a few shots and i was quick enough to get it into drive and going! Got it to the mechanic that did the work and they fixed it up straight away.

ah ok sounds a bit like what this was lol, although ballan stated that it was very common in gas cars, not so much in petrol models?..

does this change your feeling..or?..

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The bit that point to vac for me were the shuddering and almost stalling, especially if the car was stopped or slow. Once they're moving it's ok.

I just saw you said PCV too, which just confirms that it's vacuum. Sorry, it was late at night and i speed read! :p

A Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve has a vacuum hose on it. Needed to expel bad gases. As to why it would be more common on gas cars than petrol i could only speculate that there is a bigger build up of gases? If the hose split towards the end it's just probably wear on the actual hose, and doesn't change based on gas/petrol! Maybe they wanted you to feel a bit better.

[ASLYVY]

DavidP
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
The bit that point to vac for me were the shuddering and almost stalling, especially if the car was stopped or slow. Once they're moving it's ok.

I just saw you said PCV too, which just confirms that it's vacuum. Sorry, it was late at night and i speed read! :p

A Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve has a vacuum hose on it. Needed to expel bad gases. As to why it would be more common on gas cars than petrol i could only speculate that there is a bigger build up of gases? If the hose split towards the end it's just probably wear on the actual hose, and doesn't change based on gas/petrol! Maybe they wanted you to feel a bit better.

ah ok that explains alot, most likely just wear and tear on it i take it,

well thanks for the insight!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
No problem. I tried to simplify what a PCV Valve does, but i got the most important parts that you needed to know i think.

I would say it's most likely wear and tear, unless it just came off and they just pushed it back on and glued it there. If it just came off then that could have been work done to the engine or just wear and tear over MANY years! :p

micofmag7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore Impulse Blue SVZ Wagz
[ASLYVY];1058592 said:
Hey guys,
PCV hose had split

Hi All, holden wants $300 to replace my split pcv hose. Is it a user replaceble thing or do I have to bend over?