Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCV Valve or Oil Catch Can LS1

VY 777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Hi guys just need a little advise, I have just had a hose split on my vy ls1 and I don't know which way to go. The hose is the connector from the crank case vent hose leading to the throttle body, right on the step down adapter we're the PCV is. So I rung Holden and can't buy the step down to join the hose back to PCV, now all in one hose $132. So if I install an oil catch can, do I still need a PCV or will the can do away with the valve. What's the best way to go?
Thanks guys.
Cheers Col

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I think you may still need the PCV valve however someone will confirm

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i would keep the pcv operative and hooked up to intake, this allows crankcase to have a negative pressure effect which in turn will eliminate any possible sump gasket leaks.

VY 777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Thanks guys I will check eBay out. Should I still install an oil collection system or just a new PCV unit?
Cheers Col

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
i would say a whole new PCV unit,
What you can do is connect the line coming from the rocker cover to the catch can then connect the pcv valve to the throttle.
By doing it this way you remain LEGAL (EPA) and you will reduce the amount of oil vapor that is going into the manifold

VY 777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Hi just picked up a full genuine PCV on eBay $90 delivered. Will have a look at an oil can soon, got to checkout which ones a good unit for the money. Some are just a can and others have a filter on top like filled with steel wool or similar I would rather spend a little extra to get one that works well. Thanks for the help, & if anyone can recommend a unit they have used and are happy with that would be great.