Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders told me my shocks are about to shoot through my bonnet!?!??

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
i would say this will be the problem the part below collapses and creates a knock noise... farily simple to change if you have the tools... genuine are fairly cheap as are the bearings just make sure you put the bearing in the right way if your going to tackle it..

SUC30001.jpg

Notice the centre bit has broken away from the rubber thats your problem...
SUC30002-1.jpg

Parts break down
picforjc.jpg

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
I've had my bearing plates replaced by Pedders. For a short while I didn't hear the clunking noise at all, but now it is back. It is a lot less frequent than it use to be, but I am still hearing the same old "clunk" noise.

And still, it doesn't matter whether I go over a massive pothole or a small rock. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Any other ideas??? Cheers.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
I've had my bearing plates replaced by Pedders. For a short while I didn't hear the clunking noise at all, but now it is back. It is a lot less frequent than it use to be, but I am still hearing the same old "clunk" noise.

And still, it doesn't matter whether I go over a massive pothole or a small rock. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Any other ideas??? Cheers.

I have one idea.. Don't go to pedders. :)

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
common fault unfortunately. and since you need to drop the strut assembly to inspect the condition of them, not many places do it.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I have the same problem. It has also been to Pedders and had about $800 worth of replacement suspension parts including this part BOGANV8 has pics of above. I also had FE2 shocks and springs thrown in (brand new of ebay) at the same time.

AND STILL THIS NOISE IS THERE ****ING ME OFF. Since then I have installed a subwoofer. My problem is solved... for now.

I am actually thinking it may be the steering rack. I say this cause when I was at Northland SC a few weeks back, turning out from the multideck carpark. At the time I was turning I also went over a speed hump and heard this almight groan from the front end and wasn't going fast at all. There has never been any loss in power steering fluid or operation. Only thing is wheel alignments never last more than 3-4 weeks.

Could my steering rack be the problem?

vt_lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
i had the same prob, spent about a grand and was still there. i took it to four different steering and suspension guys and still no luck and then it got the better of me so i spent a whole weekend playing with it and i found the nut on the l/h side radius rod damper was not loose but not tightened to torque so done it up and haven't heard the noise since!

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
can anybody tell me how much it would cost to replace the shock absorbers (springs and all) in a VT 3.8L V6 (98 or 99)? I think all of my shock absorbers are gone to hell, and best that I replace them all at once. thanks for any help you can give me

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I have the Same Problem. I thought it was just a bump i went over everyday and it was just a metal plate under the road (on the same road same spot) . Great. Well better get this on my todo list. :-(. Do i need to remove the whole shock to replace it? Confused as bradcad mentioned it can be changed from just from under the wheel arch. Bit more detail please? Undo the top bolt, then do i press the strut down then slip it back over the top?

Last edited:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Bump, Just seeing if i have to take out the whole strut to replace them? And will i need a wheel alignment after? I have all the tools just checking whats easiest.

vbtruk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
hate to say it but we are having the exact same problem, we are getting a clunking noise in the front Left suspension, Have replaced the front radius rod bushs, the sway bar endlinks, tie rod ends, wheels bearing/hub, and the top strut bush and bearings and although the noise is still there it is no where near as loud, have noticed the sway bar end links are very stressed when done up. VT SS Series 1.
was thinking lower control arm ball joint or bush, and the shock everything else is new!!!