Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Peoples thought on routine updating cars

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
There's alot of hidden cost in houses that people don't realise! So the more money you save the better you'll be

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Amen Troy711

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
As Tinsnips said, you don't really want to get a car that is basically the same, and a whole lot of dosh more expensive. Even going from an sv6 to new SS. If you're maybe planning to play a little with the current one, it isn't unreasonable to suggest you could hold onto the car a little longer than you'd planned. Look after it well, and km's, up to a certain point, are irrelevant.

I had a similar issue when I was thinking about selling my VT Calais. I had always been a big fan of the VZ range, but really wanted something that held no similarities to my VT. So I started looking at the VE. So, my advice would also be that if you really can't hold onto your current car for an extended period of time, at least wait for the VF to launch.

Above all though, a house should be a priority. A house is an asset that generally gets more valuable with age, whereas a car depreciates at a rate of knots. Financially, it's a no brainer.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Troy i do agree with you, and in any other topic i would back you. The point i wanted to make is should i be looking to trade up before i get into the property market with what i have done with the car or disregard and hang on to what i have and do the right thing. I figured i would ask this question on the merit that with the car as it is would it be worth my while in trading to something better and making that my long term car as opposed to what i have now.

ink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You'll probably buy a lot of cars
You wont buy too many houses.

Go the bricks n mortar.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I didn't think the question was house OR car - more, just house.. or house AND car?

House OR car is a no-brainer.

House AND car takes more consideration - ie, can you still save for a deposit if making repayments on a car as well (partially why I was thinking SS vs SSV, as it will be significantly less to repay).

Maybe I misread though. Apologies if so.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
[.. Ss sounds appealing but as others said do a redraw on the house loan and get a vf, dont get me wrong im happy with what i have and consodering tuning it (following in jarps footsteps). The smart option would be to save my arse off and get a deposit ready and have fun with what i have..[/QUOTE]

The smart option is correct, but why would you want to put a loan for a car on a 30 year home loan.
Remember, any draw you take on the home loan goes on the top of the loan so in theory you do not pay the car off until you pay out the loan.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
[.. Ss sounds appealing but as others said do a redraw on the house loan and get a vf, dont get me wrong im happy with what i have and consodering tuning it (following in jarps footsteps). The smart option would be to save my arse off and get a deposit ready and have fun with what i have..

The smart option is correct, but why would you want to put a loan for a car on a 30 year home loan.
Remember, any draw you take on the home loan goes on the top of the loan so in theory you do not pay the car off until you pay out the loan.[/QUOTE]

See I didn't know that the redraw will be the last thing to be paid off if u do that I thought it would be incorporated like if u were to re finance... Oh I still have a bit to learn

SSGAMER

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VE Berlina
Mate you have rocks in your head if your considering buying a new car... Buy a house... Buying a new car is not a good idea....buy a house, get yourself in the market, later on down the track tack the car onto your next house or investment loan, make sire the new loan has an offset and pay it off ASAP... Way better option. Home loan is a much better rate than a car loan.... Please mate, do not buy a csr... It's just a car... Buy a house and you'll never regret it.... I'd rather drive a piece of **** and own my home than driving an SS to a house I rent.... Imagine having to pay off your car and pay rent... Your working for nothing basically