Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performace camshaft installation on V6??

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of researching how to install a camshaft myself in my V6 but I'm struggling to find any info on the process for the Ecotech's. I'm considering a stage 2 Mace Comp cam or going with a custom cam.

So what is the process of removing the old cam and installing the new one? I've got a rough idea of how to do it but really need some good advice. Also running in the new cam, whats the process there?

And please don't say "don't bother, put the money towards a V8 instead". This car is my daily and suits my lifestyle perfectly, I'm just adding mods to add a bit of extra performance.

Thanks in advance.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of researching how to install a camshaft myself in my V6 but I'm struggling to find any info on the process for the Ecotech's. I'm considering a stage 2 Mace Comp cam or going with a custom cam.

So what is the process of removing the old cam and installing the new one? I've got a rough idea of how to do it but really need some good advice. Also running in the new cam, whats the process there?

And please don't say "don't bother, put the money towards a V8 instead". This car is my daily and suits my lifestyle perfectly, I'm just adding mods to add a bit of extra performance.

Thanks in advance.

Basically... remove the harmonic balancer, timing cover and cam chain. Also remove the inlet manifold, lifter retainer plates, rocker covers, rockers and pushrods and slide the cam out. Degree the new cam with an adjustable timing set and reinsert it. You'll need to have it tuned too.

You're better off putting an l67 top end on it. Would be much cheaper and produce more power than fitting a cam and having it tuned accordingly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get yourself a car manual it will teach you many things :)

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
EYY,

Will a l67 top end bolt straight onto my motor? That's given me something to think about. If I did do that what would i need to do to get it to work? I assume I'll need a new computer to run the blower?

Immortality,

I definite will get one as it will be invaluable i think, just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hit up you tube mate there's a shitload of how to videos on there

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Uh, I don't think cam swaps are easy... cams and bottom end is not for the average joe, sorry to tell ya.
Go to a performance shop and they will say big bucks.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Buick/ecotec V6 cams are not that hard, especially if it's a cam and tune package.

With the V6 been a roller cam you don't have the run in issues like the old flat tappet cams. It's not something I'd recommend for someone that's never even changed there oil&filter etc but it's not the hardest job in the world either.

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I thought you'd need to be able to check all the journal bearings with a micrometer first.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess it depends on how fastidious you want to be......

I don't think many "back yard" mechanics have micrometers to do such things anyway.