Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance chip??? (worth it?)

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Hi,

These cheap-o "performance chips" are a total gimmick! simply a resistor you put inline with your O2 sensor, bad news for your engine, tricks the engine into thinking the fuel/air mix is wrong so it adjusts the mix to balance it according to the incorrect reading. Bad idea, makes your engine run hotter and will cause premature wear on your engine.

I have just recently bought a CAI and "Performance Memcal" on e-bay from These guys: blackstar7000

$224.00 delivered to my door. The Memcal took literally 6mins to install. the cold air intake took about 20mins as i had to install my original Airbox and ditch my pod. both mods have made a great improvment, specifically the Memcal, the Power band is incredibly smooth and with the CAI it pulls a lot harder right through the rev range. Best $224.00 i have ever spent.

i would Never buy one of these so called "Performance Chips." The figures they claim are total BS, and you can get Resistors from a Dick Smiths or any electronics shop for around 5c. Or alternatively wait 50 years for the wires to become corroded and generate their own resistance.

Cheers

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
heard nothing but bad things about blackstar. just stick to a greenfoam tune for $50 or so

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
can't speak for chips, but blackstar7000 sent me (to NZ) hsv badges lights few other bits and pieces and they seemed fine. Oz ebay members are great when they send to NZ as everything here is so god damn expensive.

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
I dealt with blackstar7000 a fortnight ago and brought a CAI off them. It was great because they had a NZ bank account, didnt have to use failpal :D

Cai did pretty much nothing thow :\