Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance of complete lpg conversion

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
i'm a first year apprentice, and used to own a clubby, but sold it due to apprentice wages. however, i am determined to own another v8, a vx r8 would be nice. im saving like all hell, but i reckon by the time i can afford one petrol is going to be much higher through the roof than it already is. i'm wondering what kind of performance can be achieved by completely converting a car to run on only gas, and having it properly tuned to run that way. can performance be kept the same or better, or does it suffer? any help or links or anything would be great, because im going to thoroughly research the subject. cheers

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
if you replace injection with one of those god-awful carby type mixers, performance will suck. the modern LPG injection systems are good though, no real loss of power usually.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
i'm a first year apprentice, and used to own a clubby, but sold it due to apprentice wages. however, i am determined to own another v8, a vx r8 would be nice. im saving like all hell, but i reckon by the time i can afford one petrol is going to be much higher through the roof than it already is. i'm wondering what kind of performance can be achieved by completely converting a car to run on only gas, and having it properly tuned to run that way. can performance be kept the same or better, or does it suffer? any help or links or anything would be great, because im going to thoroughly research the subject. cheers

If you are so concerned about fuel prices, perhaps you should stick to your V6.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
LPG is a good way to go from a performance standpoint because LPG has a higher octane rating than petrol, this means you can modify the engine to run a higher compression ratio or run forced induction at higher boost than an equivalent petrol powered engine. The only reason LPG has a reputation for poor performance is because most LPG setups are dual fuel and the LPG is metered thru a carby which means the engines performance has to be compromised to be able to run on both fuels as the engine is still made and tuned to run on petrol even when it is running on LPG and an LPG carby has the same metering disadvantages as a petrol carby. Running a straight LPG injection setup allows you to tune and build the engine specifically for LPG and not compromise on performance.

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
I thought you could not put gas on the alloy v8's from what i'v been told....

And it wont be long before gas is up over the dollar mark. Personally you are better off just putting up with the petrol prices than going gas

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Good choice mate. My mum has an XR8 on Gas and it's perfect.

Here are the reasons
1. Direct injection so there's no power loss. If you put your foot to the floor, you feel it slightly backing off at red line, but that problem's easily solved by switching it over to petrol.

2. Unlike driving in my Commo 6 (with a mixer), you really can't tell the difference between petrol and gas.

3. The economy is within 0.3litres/100km of each other. So it doesn't burn much more gas than petrol.

There's slightly less boot space, but I've got a 7x4 trailer for that, not that I ever need that much boot space. Plus the LPG tank gives me some nice tie down points.

Petrol is $1.60pl and gas is $0.605. Why the hell wouldn't you be running it on gas?

The oil stays cleaner and possibly after 300,000km the engine might wear out a bit faster than a petrol one. But I doubt we're going to keep the car that long.

Gas is awesome. Especially on V8's, it's where you need them the most. You get the best of all worlds (provided your system is a good one). Power of a V8, with the fuel costs of a Daewoo Matiz.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
cheers shounak, heaps of people bag lpg, but if prices keep going the way they are, then a lot of people are going to be doing the changeover in the next few years. also, J_D what you said was exactly what I needed to know, and now i'm going to save like crazy for that clubbie!!

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Ive been researching this a lot lately, same boat as you (saving for a VX SS). Anyway there are 3 main types of gas conversions.

1. Mixer, Dual fuel.
Basically a mixer is placed in the air intake system, a single gas injector/carby puts gas in the intake
Advantage - Cost (Free to convert an older commodore), simplicity (not much to go wrong), can be done by any gas place.
Disadvantage - Lower power (due to being carby), poor economy. Have to run petrol through occasionally

2. Gas injection, LPG Only.
Basically petrol injectors are switched for gas injectors (gas to gas). The gas is "expanded" in a heat converter (which is attached to the cooling system) and injected into the fuel rail
Advantage - More power than petrol, only 1 system (dont have to run petrol occasionally), the same economy as petrol,
Disadvantage - Cost, requires piggyback ecu hooked up to normal car ECU

3. Liquid gas injection, LPG only
Similar to normal gas injection, but rather than the gas being expanded in a heat transfer thingy the gas goes to the injectors as a liquid. This is perfect for F/I engines as it actually has an "intercooler effect". Basically the expansion of gas rapidly cools the air around it.
Advantages - More power than petrol, "intercooling effect", better economy
Disadvantages - Very expensive to convert.

Basically for normal engines go the standard gas injection. For high performance engines use the liquid gas injection.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've not a substantial amount of extra people that ask me for tunes telling me their car is booked in for a lpg conversion in the next few weeks, just starting about a month ago there's been a big spike. Prime minister Dudd is only commiting himself for one more year at the moment so I guess the delays will go up in another 6 months time