Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance vs economy?

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
I have recently purchased an immaculate VH commy, brand new ultra metallic paint etc etc, i'll post pics later. Anyway this car comes with all the bells and whistles but it seems to chew an awefull amount of fuel, i mean city driving (cruisin') it'll chew a good quater tank in less than 50km so my question being is there an easy solution to this?
Also not sure if it's related in anyway, when i had purchased this car i filled her up on premium, and i mean filled! anyway about a second after putting the fuel cap back on it started ****ing out fuel from what appears to be the join/seam in the tank itself. :bang:

anyway after talking to this guy who sold me the car he seemed addiment that this car has an over flow and hence why i lost a good 10 litres of fuel... but why the fark would a fuel tank have an overflow, more to the point an overflow into..well nothing... so i think this guy is a bs talker.
Anyway basically will this alone affect my cars fuel consumption? due to evaporation etc, or is it i need to tune my caby a little better? as the cabin of the car tends to smell like a gerry can if i put my foot down...

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If it's a 202 with the original carby and everythings working well it wont be too bad on fuel (not as good as a injected motor of course). But worse if it's a manual, worse again if it's one of the V8's and worse again if it's got a different carby :)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If it's a 202 with the original carby and everythings working well it wont be too bad on fuel (not as good as a injected motor of course). But worse if it's a manual, worse again if it's one of the V8's and worse again if it's got a different carby :)

The carbys were apparently better on fuel then the VK efi.

My 6 carby uses about the same probly a little more and it does not have an over flow, nor have i heard of an overflow on a petrol tank lol. Id say if its ****ing out petrol you have a leak and the previous owner is talking ****.

When i say mine uses the same, mine has problems, and is in need of a tune and my driving style isnt the best when my clutch cable keeps coming undone :(

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
yeah i should have been a little more specific,
well yeah it's an auto, which is actually in great condition, the carby is a webber twin barrel carby, and yeah your typical blue 202 with extractors, and fat exhaust...
now since reading through some of these prior threads performance is only gained from a 4 barrel carby tuned for performance as apose to a webber twin running for performance... but basically as this is only going to be used for fun i'm not gonna cry at the fuel consumption to much, but whilst my other commy is out of action i figure there's gotta be something simply i can do to restrict the amount of fuel it's sucking down?

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Unfortunately a lot are like that, your best bet would be to put in a 5spd M76 box. Its amazing what an overdrive gear can do for economy.

Mine was injected so I can't shed much light on anything else, I got mine down to 13.3L/100km around the streets so I don't see why a well tuned carby and manual can't match it or get close?

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
yeah maybe a manual is the way to go, but at the moment i don;t plan on doing a change over anytime soon, so typically a trimatic should still be fairly economic more so if a overdrive gear was fitted, don't spose a turbo400 will fit these engines with out to much of a problem?

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
if your leaking fuel id check the fuel tank breather hoses they tend to corrode over the years and if they have never been replaced they will probbaly be cracked