Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Personal opinions from VY drivers

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Well peoples, I went for a test drive on the 2003 vy calais s2 (with v6 supercharger) and I must say that it was at satisfactory level. It had a broken volume button, a few noticable scratches on the outside of the car and stains on the carpet but a little bit of TLC and im sure it would've been a good car. Although I didnt purchase it cause it didnt come with a RWC and he wouldn't drop the price no lower than $14k. Loved the sunroof tho.

On the redbook website, the average private buying price for that car with that many kms would go for $13-13,500 kms, which he refused.

I'm having a look at another car tomorrow, its a 2004 vy calais s2, with 143000kms and a standard 3.8l v6 and is supposedly immaculate both outside and inside and minus a sunroof. Only issue is a service is due. Yet the drive away price is $15,600 and has 1 year warrenty....do you think thats a good buy?

I would consider the supercharged calais. Get a quote on the rwc forst as it shouldn't need more than a couple of bushes at worst. Was it leather interior? How many kms on it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well peoples, I went for a test drive on the 2003 vy calais s2 (with v6 supercharger) and I must say that it was at satisfactory level. It had a broken volume button, a few noticable scratches on the outside of the car and stains on the carpet but a little bit of TLC and im sure it would've been a good car. Although I didnt purchase it cause it didnt come with a RWC and he wouldn't drop the price no lower than $14k. Loved the sunroof tho.

You don't say what State you are in, but in NSW a seller must provide a pink slip for rego by law when selling a car privately. Is that the situation in other states too?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Well peoples, I went for a test drive on the 2003 vy calais s2 (with v6 supercharger) and I must say that it was at satisfactory level. It had a broken volume button, a few noticeable scratches on the outside of the car and stains on the carpet but a little bit of TLC and im sure it would've been a good car. Although I didn't purchase it cause it didn't come with a RWC and he wouldn't drop the price no lower than $14k. Loved the sunroof tho.

On the redbook website, the average private buying price for that car with that many kms would go for $13-13,500 kms, which he refused.

I'm having a look at another car tomorrow, its a 2004 vy calais s2, with 143000kms and a standard 3.8l v6 and is supposedly immaculate both outside and inside and minus a sunroof. Only issue is a service is due. Yet the drive away price is $15,600 and has 1 year warranty....do you think that's a good buy?

KMS are important. The more kms the more wear on all components. I see plenty of people trying to flog their high mileage cars for the same price as a vehicle with about 100000 kms.

I would wait until you can pick up a good car with about 100000 kms or less if you can afford to wait.. These do come up if you can be patient. I would not worry about whether it is a V6 or V6 supercharged or V8 Calais. The important thing is the overall condition - especially mechanical, quality of the car, its history and service records. Try for a series 2 car. The later the build in the model life of the car the better usually.

I second Calaber's comment about a RWC. I recently raised this point with the RTA as I will be selling a car soon.

Private sellers in NSW are bound by law to provide a RWC (not more than 42 days old). If they do not the RTA has the right to refuse to transfer the registration and then the sale is up in the air. Why would you risk paying for a car and then have the RTA refuse to transfer the rego to you. They may not refuse but they have the right to if there is no current RWC. Then you will have to go to the expense of getting the mandatory inspection report if the seller(having been paid for the car) refuses and you will have to pay for any rectification work needed to get the OK report issued.

If there is no RWC with the car, and the seller refuses to provide one, then you should assume that the private seller knows there are faults with the car that will have to be rectified before an OK report is issued.

Here is the Full NSW REGULATION: ....................................

..............NSW Legislation

Last edited:

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I own an SS Wagon thats done 285,000 kms and it still drives like its brand new.
Has some mods and goes hard.

Great car the Series 2 VY all i would say is get it inspected by a mechanic on a hoist before you buy it.

Very happy and way better than the VP Berlina i was driving.

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
Ey,

I brought a 2002 VY V8 series 1 Berlina Wagon about 3 months ago. I got it from a holden dealer, with RWC and all on roads for $15200... Its got 150,000ks. Specs are Auto, leather interior, all factory options, heavy duty tow pack, LSD. Its nice and clean drives great and has been awesome so far. Much better than my VX v6 exec

Villan_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 02 V6
VY berlina 03 It had 163,000ks $11.999. Specs are Auto, leather interior now its got 175.000ks and drives like a dream and the inside is as clean as i got it from the car yard after 9 months. If you lower it low and stick big wheels on it will drive like a pig.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
i have a vy series 2 wagon that ive had for abit over a year,payed $9300 for it with 11months rego and a brand new windscreen fitted,had 180,000kms on it but it still drove like new. it now has 239,000kms on it and its still going great,glad i got the series 2 over the series 1 though,just minor things that are different but still...

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. I have decided to buy the VY Calais Series 2 from the Subaru Dealership which I purchased for $15,500 drive away and is in imaculate condition and drove very well. Its been serviced throughout its life at holden dealerships, has average amount of kms (142000) and boy does it have a nice colour to it. I will post some pics when I drive it to my house tomorrow. Funnily enough, im still having dreams about my old vn calais....i guess ill miss it forever.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Good to hear you found one, the series 2 is the best in the VY series partically the Calais and you brought it from a dealership so there is added security/warranty etc. I had my Syracuse VY2 Calais for a short time due to a P plater in a VW Kombi destroy half of the drivers side, yeah it was repaired but it was never the same ever again so i traded it for an VZ SV6. In saying that I will still have it today if it didn't get damaged, it was a beautiful car and it looked bloody hot. Massive difference compared to the 'grandpa' spec of series 1.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Private sellers in NSW are bound by law to provide a RWC (not more than 42 days old). If they do not the RTA has the right to refuse to transfer the registration and then the sale is up in the air. Why would you risk paying for a car and then have the RTA refuse to transfer the rego to you. They may not refuse but they have the right to if there is no current RWC. Then you will have to go to the expense of getting the mandatory inspection report if the seller(having been paid for the car) refuses and you will have to pay for any rectification work needed to get the OK report issued.

If there is no RWC with the car, and the seller refuses to provide one, then you should assume that the private seller knows there are faults with the car that will have to be rectified before an OK report is issued.

Here is the Full NSW REGULATION: ....................................

..............NSW Legislation

Ha never seen anyone provide one. I bought a 20k car without one simply had a mechanic friend look at it and shes been tip top. Sold my old car with BF problems for $100 without any BS. Aren't they the same guys that sell $1000 stickers? They're color coded and everything though...