Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Petrol Fuel age concerns - Not driving my SS as much...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
3-6 weeks is no problem what so ever. Have had the same tank of fuel in my Adventra for near a year now and it still runs just fine when I start it every few weeks. More importantly for the car in itself is to go for a good hour long drive every few weeks to get everything up to temp running for a sustained period of time.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
ok so sound like a 3-6 weeks is nothing to really be worried about.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
My first-hand experience is keep the tank above half at all times. I average about 3,000km/yr which means the car often may not get run for 3-4 weeks. Never had a problem.

Other car (3.8 V6) has been parked on tyres for 6-8 months on 2 occasions (motor unstarted) and battery disconnected but topped up with charge every 6-8 weeks, no problem with 91 RON fuel being "old". By the way I NEVER USE E10 - attracts moisture. Remember in USA, all their (petrol) fuel comes as E10 no matter what octane level they are. Thats why you keep the tank topped up to prevent moisture. Provided you keep the car out of the weather and dry and the battery charged up, you can go 3 months easily with no adversity on power, engine performance etc.

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I've had the redline ute for ~2yrs now and done ~7k so far, I fill up every 6-8 weeks (bp98 only), no obvious issues.

M

MYSSVLS3

Yeah I sort of go the other way...I can take 4-6 weeks to get down to somewhere between a quarter & a half a tank and then I fill up...usually timed so that I’m paying $1.30 rather than $1.70. I like to think the new fuel gushing in is mixing well with what’s already there but I really wouldn’t have a clue as to overall effects.

Most of my limited running is 75% up & down the highway so generally sitting on 100/110 km/h which is why consumption rarely reads higher than 11.5.

Still haven’t quite clicked over 15k in 20 months and that includes one return trip Bris/Bathurst and one Bris/Sydney.

So I do wonder what could be happening all round with such limited running but not overduly concerned...still has the new car carcinogenic smell and absolutely love the smell, sound and feel every time I do get in it.

I brought my 2017 VFII REDLINEWagon in August 2017 and it only has 410 kms on the clock. It’s only been lowered by Walkinshaw, had 4 half tanks of Juice Vpower from Shell. It’s Idles once or twice a week in the garage. I wouldn’t reckon you have too much of a problem as you consistently drive yours.

I’d like to drive it more , But I kinda brought it as a possible investment for the longer term. Like in 20 years time it might be worth something with f**k all kms on the clock.. hopefully anyway..

Well good luck and take care...

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Give her a few more revs than an idle. Make sure the oils getting pressure to get to the top of the engine.

M

MYSSVLS3

Hi All

I recently changed jobs which means I no longer drive to work. I only use my SS on weekends now for short trips or the occasional day out with the family so my estimated yearly KMs will be around 5000km. My concern is about fuel (98 RON) that is sitting in the tank for extended amounts of time. If I have a full tank it may take 3-6 weeks to consume it all depending on how much driving I had each weekend. Is there any need for concern or is 3-6 weeks fine? Id prefer not use additives but if anyone recommends it I would consider. Could an alternative be to only fill the the tank halfway when it gets close to empty? Is that a sound strategy or does that cause other problems such as water buildup etc? Thanks

Great question Paulie,

I reckon I’d be asking the same as. My SSV Redline Wagon is just over 3 years old and only has 716 Klms on her. I only drive her about 10 klicks every 3 or 4 months usually at night when no ones watching and to date she’s only had 4 tanks of 98 in her all said an done. Can this be a problem.

she’s still brand new and still smells brand new inside too.

Mr NITRATE

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

JC references life of petrol fact sheet which seems to say 1 month when in your equipment fuel tank :oops:

Battery may also be an issue and as such JC has an opinion on the issue below

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
the advice on internet forums is conflicting” ……….. best advice that I have come across. ;)
JC’s advice/opinion, and JC advice/opinions are pretty consistant, and I think both are well on the ball.

Here in regional NSW, we have largely avoided the zombie apocalypse, but driving around spreading my retirement $$$ is still restricted, due to being unwelcome ‘up there’ and not wanting to go anywhere ‘down there’.
But, anyway, I am keeping the tanks of my cars full, petrol is cheap and usage is topped after a drive, even if it is only $10.
As for battery chargers, I have 2 float chargers which are in constant use. Which brand to use has been the subject of much heated debate and enjoyable reading lately on the ‘Fordrum’. (Sensitive chappies, those Ford owners.)

MYSSVL3 / Mr NITRATE …….. please use your car as it was intended. :(
I understand and sympathise that you are now in the centre of the Kim Jong Dan’s zombie apocalypse detention, but you have had the previous 2.5 years to circulate the oils and warm the cockles of its V8, before life happiness and carbon emissions are banned forever.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
MYSSVL3 / Mr NITRATE …….. please use your car as it was intended. :(
I understand and sympathise that you are now in the centre of the Kim Jong Dan’s zombie apocalypse detention, but you have had the previous 2.5 years to circulate the oils and warm the cockles of its V8, before life happiness and carbon emissions are banned forever.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s a crime (in my eyes) to make a garage queen out of her. I don’t think a redline will count as a classic anytime soon. And if/ when that time comes, GMH would’ve screwed us over already (lack of spares/ software support). But hey it’s his money and his car - to each his own ;)