Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

petrol - hydrogen supplemented engines

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
We may start seeing more similar things in the near future.

Last edited:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
either you're an idiot, you're just arguing for the sake of it... or both?

Probably an idiot, for arguing with someone that clearly has no idea. the thing works. These guys have done it, scientifically it is viable. As stated i DON'T agree with their figures, but the project does achieve something.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
Probably an idiot, for arguing with someone that clearly has no idea. the thing works. These guys have done it, scientifically it is viable. As stated i DON'T agree with their figures, but the project does achieve something.

yeah, 0.01% improved fuel economy.

try it for yourself.

lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe he works for an oil company?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
As I posted in the other thread on this forum, there would only be trace amounts of hydrogen produced by a 120W device compared to the actual petrol needed to power the car and consequently cant see that they'd be able to get the efficiency benefits claimed.
Though if they can devise a proper test to show otherwise, Ill be joining the line to get one fitted.
a half decent test would be putting an unmodified car on the dyno, running the fuel out of a burette for a given power output and time and then fitting the HHO setup to the same car and measuring the fuel used.
The HHO name, possibly refers to the electroysis reaction of water. Twice the volume of hydrogen gas (H2) will be produced than O2. They obviously feed both the hydrogen and oxygen into the intake, possibly too large a mix of this would be difficult to burn(volatility with high oxygen content) properly inside a car engine

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It seems HFI works better on diesel powered vehicles than petrol powered ones. All hydrogen injection does is allow for more complete combustion so in principle, less fuel should be used.

A couple of years ago I read an article on hydrogen fuelled cars and I think I even commented here somewhere about this being the future for alternative fuels. I believe it is one solution, although a lot more work needs to be done to make it economical.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
so the case of "it doens't work" is actually more a case of it "does work" it's just a matter of building a decent HHO generator.

i agree with commsirac the test was not realistic, the 2nd falcon was obviously sick as it should have used less then 10ltrs to make a 100km trip

a slightly less scientific test would be to run said car over 100km trip with HHO, time the trip, then run it again without HHO over same 100km distance and use same amount of time (this would largly eliminate the 2nd trip been driven at higher speeds making results in-accurate)

even if this type of system only produces a 10% increase in economy it's a real world gain what would save your pocket considerable amounts over the years you would use it.

before the wide spread use of the internet the oil companies spent a lot of time and money making sure these types of technologies were kept quiet. it has been well documented that oil companies purchased and shelved revolutionary engine designs and alternate fuel systems to keep the public dependent on that black gold they sell to us at outragous prices

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yeah, 0.01% improved fuel economy.

try it for yourself.

lol

wouldnt waste my time on it. Going to knock my cost to under 20cents per litre by the end of the year. Less effort too.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
wouldnt waste my time on it. Going to knock my cost to under 20cents per litre by the end of the year. Less effort too.

Might I ask how? are you going electric?

in all honesty hydrogen would work, its a matter of building an engine and tuning it to run richer mixes of hydrogen and petrol.

I wonder what it would be like with some boost.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a VC Commodore wagon that runs on 100% hydrogen, but very uneconomical. Thats the whole issue, it does work, but not as an economic alternative. HFI is being used in Canada by diesel powered vehicles and reduces emissions.

I did a bit of surfing this afternoon and came upon a site that had a discussion on hydrogen generators. Making the hydrogen is easy, making enough of it on demand to supply an IC engine efficiently is the hurdle that can't be jumped at the moment.