Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

petrol smell

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
has any one ever had a petrol smell in the cab,every time i go on a trip in this car it seems to have a strong smell ,any one no where it might be coming from

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
check the breather line and fuel filler is still connected tight, all hoses are still on the charcoal canister under neath

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
mate had the same prob with my VZ found out it was a faulty fuel cap, had that replaced then smell still there due to cap working loose( fuel vapour pressure) and holden reckon the tank filler was faulty and the cap woud work loose so they replaced the whole tank.now i found out if i squeze the cap while screwing it on till it clicks it will seal nicely and wont work loose( strange as none of me other commodores had the prob)

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
yep,my wife says it only smells when i fill it up 4 a trip ,she drives it every day herself with no smell

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
mate had the same prob with my VZ found out it was a faulty fuel cap, had that replaced then smell still there due to cap working loose( fuel vapour pressure) and holden reckon the tank filler was faulty and the cap woud work loose so they replaced the whole tank.now i found out if i squeze the cap while screwing it on till it clicks it will seal nicely and wont work loose( strange as none of me other commodores had the prob)

thats what i was looking 4 mate

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i make sure cap was tight when i fuelled her up but by the time i get home it worked loose.now at time im paranoid and still check it b4 taking the car but yehh had fuel vapours in de boot that would seep into the cab even more so when window down coz it was circulating it all.cheap option mate get another cap.and for some weird reason me missus screw the cap on and it be ok. i can go to any other commodore and do the same and there cap be ok too.make sense ??? coz it sure as hell doing my head in at the time

thats what i was looking 4 mate

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
mate my wife has just finished telling me that it is only me 2 ,as it never happens to her,that would be right

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thats women 4 yahh,*shaking me head*suggest when screwing the cap in give it a squeeze from the sides till it clicks a few times then see if it easily unscrews if it does get another cap and do the same again it shoud be ok. otherwise if yahh car under warranty still get the tank replaced

mate my wife has just finished telling me that it is only me 2 ,as it never happens to her,that would be right

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
check engine light???? that only lights up when i 1st start the car with all other lights and does a system check but thats always OK

do u get check engine light? mines doing this aswel