Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Picking up my new VS

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by Bluekitten202, May 9, 2016.

1. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Hey all, New here!
    I'm from Tassie and upon selling my dear Magna I've come across a VS Commodore and I'm going to go pick it up in two days time from the other end of the state!
    I'll attach some photos for your opinions!
    Nice clean little bus apart from the front bumper but nothing I can't fix!
    Going to be a grandpa spec car.. for now haha.
    Going to plasti-dip white walls onto the tyres and give it a good detail.
    No plans for it otherwise, just a neat daily. Probably replace those tail lights as they're hideous haha :)

2. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Looks good how many klms?

3. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    The guy says it has 300 odd thou but has had the engine replaced at some point.. so I'll be sussing that out and looking for receipts etc. But eventually if I own it long enough I'll chuck another motor in it and supercharge it.
    I"ll also be taking more photos when I get down there :)

4. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    So!
    After the longest day I've ever faced, the VS happily got me home (4 hour drive up to the north of the state) and funnily enough on half a tank!
    It's a bumpy ride given the springs have been chopped, the drivers seat has collapsed so that needs to be replaced, cosmetic wise isn't too bad, going to need a new front bumper and to beat out the front quarter pannel and replace the F/R indicator. But the paint looks very good and will come up a treat with a polish :)
    here are some photos I got tonight and I'll take some more over the weekend when I wash it and actually have a REALLY good look at it.
    (The tail lights are growing on me.. I'm not sure whether to keep them or put standard ones in?!) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ritzyp10

Ritzyp10 New Member

Nice Ride mate. Good to see another Tasmanian on here :spot on:

6. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Thanks man! She's far from perfect but it's really only the little things!
    Would love to meet up with fellow northern-ers at some point!

7. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    So today consisted of a wash for the old girl and checking over the vehicle properly.
    The springs we were told were "chopped" are actually Pedders along with shocks; but have come to the conclusion that the people chopped the pedders springs for moar low. this is a video of her sitting at idle with the chronic case of "The muffler box looks like it's exploded (Someone had actually cut it open to make it louder) and i'll put some sheet metal over it with rivets" lol [video]https://youtu.be/GALfT9GjmBA[/video]
    Also deciding to get a set of tires for the 15" mags i got with the car [​IMG] (as the 16" caprice wheels need tyres and they're just out of my budget; and being nearly winter I need them sooner rather then later) and put them on until I save for some tyres for the 16's.
    Other then that, it's only been three days so next on the agenda is a full clay bar detail, and a cut and polish and a wax just to help keep the paint in good condition as it's not terrible how it sits now :)
    also here are some photos that I took today. :spot on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these last two are of before giving her a bath
    [​IMG]

8. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Seeing how my last post actually posted, i've got a lot to learn in words of posting on a thread properly lol
    Today I took out the drivers seat to see if I could fix the back. It was really loose and would pretty much flop around and it would be super unsafe in an accident so I took it out and dismantled it. Turns out one of the rivet things had snapped so my dad welded it for me (cause I can't weld lol) and I put it back in.
    That should be it for now until I can actually afford getting other stuff fixed.
    I'm getting tires for the 15" rims next week when I get a call saying that they're in, so I can drive without being worried in the wet (first to be said, being a P-Plater in a RWD, huh?) or fear about the 5-0 defecting it lol
    So until I can afford the exhaust fix, it'll just be the little things like detailing it inside and out. The paint surprisingly is doing well. a few hard to wash places but nothing a good soak in bug and tar remover shouldn't fix and a few rust spots that I can deal with. I'm overall pretty happy with the car. That's an understatement. I'm absolutely astonished by the fact it cost me $500 and it only needs minor fixes.
    But yeah, that's an update from me! :)

9. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Also wondering what's the best way to polish these wheels? they're alloy (?) From what I know/can tell, so obviously i'd use an alloy polish..
    I don't really want to sand them back at all as I wouldn't trust myself with these wheels haha. just looking for a bit of extra shine; even though they do look pretty good already and they're nice and shiny after a wash! :)

10. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Finally the rain stopped long enough to Clay Bar Ms. Steele (that's what i've named her lol)
    Photos don't do it justice and I wish you could all feel the difference in the paint work.
    The paint under all the grime isn't terrible, which i'm surprised with, a few stone chips here and there but overall for a 20 Year old car i'm very pleased.
    First time using a clay bar kit, and I used used the cheapest one I could find which was the "eclipse" brand. Though it wasn't expensive it was definately worth the $26 I spent. Next on the list will be a nice cut and polish (again, when it stop raining; it never stops in Tassie!) and to polish the rims.
    I also got new tyres on the caprice rims as it was better for the long run. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Willipede

Willipede Member

Members Ride:
    Vs v6 S pac Ute
    Great job, just give the stone chips a bit of a brush touch and put on a bit of tyre shine and it will look very nice. Also in my opinion remove that pinstripe sticker and it will look a lot nicer.

12. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    I think I'm just gonna leave the chips, they're nothing too bad and I was thinking of getting rid of them but I kind of like the stripes haha.

Also.
    I got home today after a drive to the wreckers to source a new quarter pannel and indicator and saw this.
    [​IMG]
    WHAT.
    Shes sitting so wonky!
    I had a look under the car, the springs seem to be sitting in their boots and the shocks seem to be sitting well also.
    I'm going to be jacking it up tomorrow and taking the wheels off to see what's going on. I'm hoping its a saggy spring or shock but it's only been like that since i got tyres fitted yesterday? So i'm going to assume the suspension expanded without the weight of the car on it and somethings not sitting right.
    It's only the rear, the front is sitting pretty square on and as you can see in the photo it's pretty drastic. lol.
    I feel no differences in driving, though. everything feels as it did before so i'm not 100% sure on what i'm actually looking for except the obvious mounting of springs/shocks/arms etc being out of place!

But, on another note.
    She;s so shiny and looks so good!
    [​IMG]

13. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    Not much has happened since my last update.
    Just added a few touches.
    A LED light strip behind the front bumper/grille and some HID park lights/number plate lights.
    (First was the LED behind the grille)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some photos of my VS and my cousins VY S-Pac ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if Ive said it either but while at my cousins we gave her a polish and wax, came up quite nice, I was very happy with the result :)
    [​IMG]

Then tonight were the parkers/number plate light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other than that, I've bought a catback exhaust system off ebay to finally sort out my scraping exhaust. that should be here within the next week. That cost me $209.50
    Going to try and source some HID headlights for it, too.
    Just trying to tidy it up a bit without breaking the bank :)

14. Bluekitten202

Bluekitten202 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore
    So, I haven't posted for a while. Not much has happened.
    just driving her around as a daily and trying to take care of her lol.

New catback exhaust is on, nice little note but not deafening like the old and really munted system, on the hunt for some non-chopped springs.

a couple days ago my ignition barrel snapped while I was 15 mins out of town. car wouldnt start so I had to push it onto a tandem trailer with a 4x4 with a 4 poster bullbar; boot garnish is rubbish and i have dents and chips in my rear bumper now. But finally got her home but couldn't do much as the weather was very crap. (snowy and rainy. NOTE, towing a tandem with a car on it, in the pissing down rain is terrifying if you've never done it before)

so while the weather held off today I took it apart and found out what I needed to replace and what I didn't, so the parts should be here mid-late next week.
    Just the usual snapped bit that goes into the switch.
    So, that's a small run down on things.
    hopefully i can put it all back together without a hitch. (no pun intended) hahaah.