Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pipe identification?

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Man, this week's problem with the VS was the regulator on the alternator.

I got that fixed no problem, then just because about 4 major problems for the moment weren't enough - I had a freak accident when doing the battery back up.

I was bolting the lead back on and if sparked a bit near my eye so I dropped the spanner...the bastard stayed on the nut and spun around and sat on a steel pipe and arced up and blew a hole in it! This was all in about 1 second.

I knocked the spanner off and sealed the hole up with anything I could...

However, I don't even know exactly what it is, I think its something to do with the emission control or something...anyone know?

Its the steel pipe running in the gutter beside the engine on the battery side that runs into that carbon drum filter, or whatever it is. I think there is usually 2, this was the closest to the driver's side.

I aint a noob, but it was a noob move and I don't even know what it's for.
It can't be too important...

Another great day in VS repair history...every time I fix one, the next literally springs right up...LOL

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
pretty sure this pipe your referring to is the one that carries the fuel vapours to the charcoal canister...

might wanna get it fixed otherwise you might get fuel smell coming from the engine bay

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Yeah, I think thats what it is.

I sealed it up for a quick fix no worries, just had to know if it was important, in case I needed to fix it properly ASAP, but I guess it can wait a week.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
would be a good time to quit smoking

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
would be a good time to quit smoking

Luckily I'm actually running on gas most of the time...

I was so dirty it happened at the time, but as my Mrs pointed out, lucky is wasn't full of fumes and blew back or something...at least it would have been the end of my VS problems :D

and me. ;)

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
hehe, it'll be ok mate, just get it sorted as soon as you get the chance