Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston help

TheCommodoreGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I've got a build going on at the moment at I was told I could use L36 pistons on L67 conrods to lower compression, is this info correct before I place my order? Also what is the difference between L36 and L67 Cylinder heads?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. L67 and L36 have different length rods and different height pistons to suit. Using a L36 piston on a L67 rod will lower the compression but also screw up the quench. L36 pistons are also weaker than L67.

Why are you trying to lower the compression on a L67? They are 8.5:1 stock which is perfect for boost.

Cylinder heads are the same except the L67 heads have the injector bosses machined in the head.

I suggest you speak with and engine builder to work out the correct parts for whatever you are trying to achieve.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would use standard replacement pistons for L67. While you're there you can buy series 3 powder rods from the US cheap. This will be plenty strong. If you get new rods or pistons make sure you change the pin bush as L67 uses a brass pin bush and they have to be reamed on a pin reaming machine. The engine shop I use did this for me last L67 I reconditioned.

PS you will need to balance the crank if you use the later rods.