Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston Slap in VZ range. Yay or nay?

S

ssz-250

Does anyone own a VZ SV8 or SS or know of anyone with a VZ SS commy that has problems with Piston Slap? I get rooted at work from buzz box riceboys saying that I am wasting my money buying an "SSZ hunk of crap" and that I need to realise that jap cars are a better investment 'cause of they way they are put together and built, hold their value etc. Im under the impression that Holden would have recified something concerning piston slap with the Gen III by now (less headaches dealing with customers) I also read an "unofficial" article that problems with piston slap were recified on LS1 vehicles released from early 2004. I dont know if this is true as I am very skeptical by nature. Then the www.pistonslap.com website leaves an impression that unless GM faces a mass lawsuit they will continue to manufacture their engines where they insist that the slap noise is NORMAL. I am picking up my new SSZ sedan this friday mind you its a brilliant car to drive.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
the piston slap issue has gone, it was repaired as you stated in the 03-04 year of the vy gen3, i wouldnt worry, as for those rice boys, who cares, let them complain, you see, their cars come out fast, we can make our cars fast, their aint much they can do to theirs without spending a big heap of cash

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
NOOOOOOOO dont buy it mate, wait a bit for the second series of VZ's, SS is basically a SSZ with new motor.
Anyways the GEN3's can still get a little slappy, but the thing people dont realise is they are an all alloy motor, so sounds are magnified 10 times. Piston slap in the gen3's isnt bad anyway, unless they start using oil.

5Lvrss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 sv6 auto I miss my SS
what was the go with the gen 3 in the early monaros im looking at buying one and i dont want to be wresling with holden 4 year to come ova a friggin american engine :(

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
err actually the gen3's we get aren't cast in america, They are cast in Mexico and Canada and I hate to say it but they send the best castings to the U.S. and we get the rest. I believe the last gen3's to suffer from piston slap and excess oil consumption were the VX