Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap: is it a real issue with vt gen3

Possa85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS
Is piston slap a genuine and consistent problem with majority of the early(vt SS gen3's) and if just looking at a car to buy, what are some of the notable symptoms to look for, hear etc.
thankyou

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Most of them would of been back to Holden for some remedial work whilst they were under warranty from new.
If you are concerned just get the VIN # of the car you are looking at, give ya local Holden dealer ( service dept )a buzz and they can look up as to what warranty issues that car has had done as well as recalls.
If they are arse holes try another dealer, or better still ring the dealer that sold / performed the servicing whilst under warranty.
Look for hand book.
Piston slap is most notable when cold. Everything hasn't had a chance to heat up and expand,eg; take up any slack due to larger than ideal tolerances.
Try and view a car when it hasn't been warmed up. If the seller has nothing to hide the car will have not been started prior to you arriving.
When it starts cold, just let it idle, and listen for any rattles, excessive ticking till oil pressure builds up ( if it does note how long )

Last edited:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yes it is real and its an ongoing issue with all LS engines even in the L76/98 VE's.

A lot of them were replaced under warranty however a lot of them suffered various oil issues and piston and lifter issues after they were out of warranty period and would not have been replaced.

Piston slap is pretty evident when the car is cold. Make sure you listen to the car cold. Start it up note where the temp gauge is.

Listen to a few videos on youtube. Know the difference between lifter/injector ticking and slap.

Possa85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt SS
Thanks guys will take that stuff on board!!

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Most of them would of been back to Holden for some remedial work whilst they were under warranty from new.
If you are concerned just get the VIN # of the car you are looking at, give ya local Holden dealer ( service dept )a buzz and they can look up as to what warranty issues that car has had done as well as recalls.
If they are arse holes try another dealer, or better still ring the dealer that sold / performed the servicing whilst under warranty.

It's no longer possible for a dealer to look up old claims on pre-VE vehicles since the warranty system was changed a few years back.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
My LS2 has it when cold especially if I haven't driven the car for more than a week or so but it hasn't caused me any dramas.
I just make sure I warm it up before pushing it.
Once hot the engine is smooth as silk with just the whir/clicking of the injectors.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It can still be an issue but as with most things the people who have issues will happily tell every one vs the people that don't won't say anything.