Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

piston slap is normal L77 vf redline

ghost1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redline
Well just got of the phone to Holden customer service???????? I have been complaining about it since first service, and I am just about to run out of warranty. Same old bullshit about it being "in tolerance" what a joke. "We have spoken to the dealer" and he says its okay, not, all the other cars I have owned from 4wd, soft suv to sedan/wagons have never never had this ****. So my question was do Holden quality control the assembly of these components and to hell with the consumer? How can these leave the assembly line in this configuration, what an effen joke.
Another question was, if I go to trade this in and the piston slap is heard what do you think the kind of deal I would get? Long silence no answer, then finally Oh if you trade at a holden dealer they will know that this nothing to worry about, what a load of crap.
No piston slap is acceptable in todays technology. To say I am peeved is an understatement.
Then they have the nerve to say try another dealership as they are all separate, this has already been done. No joy. I have physically seen the letter GMH sent out to dealers about there stance on this problem, and its virtually stating, stiff ****, got to love em for that.
I even asked if we could go out to the used cars and check them compared to mine no joy there either.
So the solution seems to be just turn up the radio??????
How many other people have had this run around and what was the outcome?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
There are a few threads on this already.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I use 'turn the stereo up for a few min in the morning' technique.
The 'slappage' is gooone...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Well just got of the phone to Holden customer service???????? I have been complaining about it since first service, and I am just about to run out of warranty. Same old bullshit about it being "in tolerance" what a joke. "We have spoken to the dealer" and he says its okay, not, all the other cars I have owned from 4wd, soft suv to sedan/wagons have never never had this ****. So my question was do Holden quality control the assembly of these components and to hell with the consumer? How can these leave the assembly line in this configuration, what an effen joke.
Another question was, if I go to trade this in and the piston slap is heard what do you think the kind of deal I would get? Long silence no answer, then finally Oh if you trade at a holden dealer they will know that this nothing to worry about, what a load of crap.
No piston slap is acceptable in todays technology. To say I am peeved is an understatement.
Then they have the nerve to say try another dealership as they are all separate, this has already been done. No joy. I have physically seen the letter GMH sent out to dealers about there stance on this problem, and its virtually stating, stiff ****, got to love em for that.
I even asked if we could go out to the used cars and check them compared to mine no joy there either.
So the solution seems to be just turn up the radio??????
How many other people have had this run around and what was the outcome?

Describe what exactly the symptoms are. When does it happen.
Did it get worse over time...

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
upgrade to an LS3.

I had a similar issue (not slap but gearbox issues) when holden replaced my auto box on my series one.
Had nothing but flaring issues , clunking etc with the new box.
dealer said it was normal on numerous occasions which I flatly refused to accept. I then asked what I would get as a trade in for it to upgrade to a LS3. Guess what , same blank look your getting

I ended up going to another dealer, trading it in and upgrading to an LS3.

Good story though.
The offending dealer called me about 3 months later saying i'm late for my service. Told them I upgraded, then they had the audacity to ask why they did not get the opportunity to sell me an LS3!
Needless to say I told tem to get fuked. haha

Steven W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
erherjk

Last edited:

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
It's been a quite common occurrence with many, many V8 Holden vehicle based engines over the years as you probably know.

But, if it makes you feel any better; My old VY had quite bad piston slap, never had a single issue with the motor after 150,000kms and 14 years of driving. Was still going strong with no issues when i sold it.

So even though you may have some slap, still doesn't mean the motor is going to grenade or anything like that any time soon.
Agree.
My VE SS and VF SS both make the same noise for about 5 mins when cold. Not as loud as in the videos Ron posted some time ago, but the same sound nonetheless. The VE hasn't skipped a beat in 150,000 ks so I'm not worried about the VF.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Don’t worry about your car and piston slap,listen to an L34 from the 70s now that is slap,people tried to replicate it in their 308s with Repco pistons because it sounded tough,let them warm up for a while and enjoy them we are lucky to have them.

ghost1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 ssv redline
well i have had the car back in with no joy, the warranty will run out in a couple of weeks, but dont worry it has been noted.
So i say how about we walk around the front and i trade it in will it make any difference, of course not they tell me holden have sent a
message regarding this issue and it is fine.yeh right i'm done i dont care if it acceptable, because we know it won't be.
Never in my 40+ years of driving have I had a car with piston slap. I said thanks for an inevitable tear down and repair at my cost.
There isn't a engineer in the whole holden system thats worth his weight in horsecrap let alone gold when it comes releasing these engines onto the consumer. But they will talk the talk to get your money. This also goes for all the so called car reviews of these cars. the cars must be hand picked before they go out testing.