Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning a trip to USA

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Me and the misses are planning a trip to America end of this year/beginning of next. I myself have been before, mainly the 'main' stops, LA, Vegas, Miami, New York. However my misses has never been, and knows next to nothing about Americas geography.

We are planning to spend about 4 weeks over there, and I am just after peoples experience who have traveled there about where else to go besides the cities i mentioned, we will be doing those main cities, but also other stuff in between, but i dont know too much about all the other states i.e. in texas i wouldn't have a clue if we should go Austin, or Houston, or Dallas, and so on... we're planning on going to Chicago, while up that way is there anything in Detroit worth going to, or can skip.. and so on..

any advice, albeit positive or negative, toward any town at all would be great, as we are still planning which cities in-between we want to visit.

cheers, Troy

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
youd be surprised how much fun a redneck day out can be. i highly recommend cooking off a couple of mags with the mac-10, and if you can a an FAL. two of my favourite range experiences ever...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Chicago, Detroit will be cold when your thinking of going so take some serious winter wear if you do that.

South and North Carolina are well worth a visit.......you could fly into Atlanta GA from LAX and drive north. If you did do that the Outer Banks are an ABSOLUTE MUST.....do a Google. That's what your Wife should be doing to gain some knowledge as well as get lots of books from you local library. Knowledge is power my man.

From NC you could drive north to Washington DC and go check out the city and most of all the Smithsonian Institution......you could spend days there and stay and eat and drink in some of the finest places in the U.S.A.
If you were keen continue on to New York and up to Boston.

Another trip that could take about four weeks would be to fly into San Francisco, spend some time and do breakfast at Dottie's......it's a MUST DO......Google it for address etc.
Pick up a car and drive to Vegas for a couple of days......your Wife should be taken there. From there to Boulder and onto the Grand Canyon......stay in Williams on Route 66 and take the steam train to the rim.....there may well be snow there that time of year.
Back track on Route 66 and head down to Lake Havasu......an amazing place.......from there drive to LA and stay in Santa Monica......I highly recommend the Double Tree Hilton there.....Paris might even come in to do a spot of dusting one morning. LOL.

How's that for a start?

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
youd be surprised how much fun a redneck day out can be. i highly recommend cooking off a couple of mags with the mac-10, and if you can a an FAL. two of my favourite range experiences ever...

In all honesty, the whole idea of going to a gun range and shooting has never got my dick hard... would much rather hire a mustang or 'vette and fang around the deserts.

Thanks gossie, will look into some of those spots, and in terms of research, i'll know every street I'm going to walk on by the time we go, hence why we are starting to plan now ;) and it will be the same time of year as went i went previously, so am aware of the weather to expect :S

at this stage an extremely rough itinerary/direction of travel, will probably be;

• Fly into LAX, stay in Hollywood (also will be doing disneyland, universal, and magic mountain), go down to Santa Monica.
• Head off to Vegas for new years
• Head down to the grand canyon (dont know if we will stay in arizona, or just a stop over)
• Head down to Texas (wouldnt have a clue which city we will choose yet)
• Then possily head to Memphis or Nashville....?
• Straight down to Miami
• Then head up the east coast, Washington, New York, Boston
• From there accross to Niagra falls, and Toronto
• Then accross to Chicago
• Then start to head down route 66 for a bit, to St. Louis
• From there across to Denver
• Then up to Seattle
• Down to San Fransisco
Across to Hawaii (the misses insists we do this while we are over that side of the world.... :rolleyes: )
and home....

Obviously that is a shitload to fit into 4weeks, but thats just the flow/direction we plan on heading, cities will be added and/or omitted as we research.

But ye any tips on states/cities i havent mentioned would be good, as you said gossie, i will have a look into north and south Carolina.

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
I did a boys trip in Sep 2012 to LA and Vegas

It was awesome, i highly recommend road tripping to vegas, it's only 4 hours from LA and there are some good sights along the way and hire cars as cheap as.
What kind of stuff were you looking to do?
Helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon was well worth it, we also did a day trip out to see "area 51" didn't see much but touristy things to see and the restaraunt where they filmed "paul" is worth eating at too.

PM me if you want any specific stuff.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ye when i went last, it was a boys trip, so i can only imagine how different/tame this time around will be :p

We caught the LUXBUS from LA to Vegas, it was alot cheaper then flying, and only took 6hrs, was a good chance to catch up on some sleep, but still see abit of the highways/outskirt towns.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
In all honesty, the whole idea of going to a gun range and shooting has never got my dick hard... would much rather hire a mustang or 'vette and fang around the deserts.

Thanks gossie, will look into some of those spots, and in terms of research, i'll know every street I'm going to walk on by the time we go, hence why we are starting to plan now ;) and it will be the same time of year as went i went previously, so am aware of the weather to expect :S

at this stage an extremely rough itinerary/direction of travel, will probably be;

• Fly into LAX, stay in Hollywood (also will be doing disneyland, universal, and magic mountain), go down to Santa Monica.
• Head off to Vegas for new years
• Head down to the grand canyon (dont know if we will stay in arizona, or just a stop over)
• Head down to Texas (wouldnt have a clue which city we will choose yet)
• Then possily head to Memphis or Nashville....?
• Straight down to Miami
• Then head up the east coast, Washington, New York, Boston
• From there accross to Niagra falls, and Toronto
• Then accross to Chicago
• Then start to head down route 66 for a bit, to St. Louis
• From there across to Denver
• Then up to Seattle
• Down to San Fransisco
Across to Hawaii (the misses insists we do this while we are over that side of the world.... :rolleyes: )
and home....

Obviously that is a shitload to fit into 4weeks, but thats just the flow/direction we plan on heading, cities will be added and/or omitted as we research.

But ye any tips on states/cities i havent mentioned would be good, as you said gossie, i will have a look into north and south Carolina.

With all due respect, I think you would need 3 months to do all of that. Your going from west to east, north and back to the west.....too much IMHO. You will do yourself and Wife a disservice by not spending enough time in each place of interest.
You mention Hawaii, that's a place that can be done at anytime.......pick up a cheapo air fare into Honolulu from OZ, take the local bus for $2.00 to Waikiki and find somewhere to stay for a couple of weeks of real R&R.

Keep us informed though please as I'm interested.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
I couldn't agree with you more about Hawaii mate, but the misses has it in her head to go while we are there.... We'll see ;)

As for the itinerary, yes I know that's a lot, but half of those may only be one day stop overs, IF they are even included in the cut. Like most things, we will make a big list of cities, and then cull down to a reasonable amount, so just wana make sure I don't cull a city that really deserves a visit you know what I mean

twogirlsdad

Waiting for my summer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 Commodore/Pontiac G8 GT Sold. '17 Chevy SS
As a citizen of one of the brokest states in the brokest country in the world please come to Chicago and spend all of your money. Thank you.

In all seriousness if you come in our winter remember that we occasionally get some serious snow storms and travel can be affected for days. Also that's our cold and flu season so get your influenza vaccine before coming.

Rt 66 information:
Illinois Route 66 - Traveling the Mother Road in Illinois

A couple of great restaurants:
Topolobampo: Restaurants - Rick Bayless | Frontera
The Signature Room at the 95th® - Chicago, IL | John Hancock Restaurant

For Chicago style pizza:
Lou Malnati's Pizzeria - Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza

Fun thing to do in Chicago: Go to Willis Tower up to the 103rd floor and go out in the glass box then look down:
Skydeck Chicago