Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

planning my next car - VZ SS

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
basically i think im done with the sv6 now (performance wise).

im starting to plan and save for my next car, hopefully a VZ SS (or prob a VE by the time i hit 25).

im just wanting to know what mods are usually the best to start with?
(i want to stay NA)
obviously the items on my list already are:
pacemakers, and full exhaust, cai, modified throttlebody, cams, and rockers, P&P heads, and a tune
i think i want around 400+rwhp, low 11sec 1/4
- ideally a tune is recommended between mods, but is it really necessary?, or can the stock comp adjust itself enough to cope with little changes (obvoiusly big changes like cams,heads and throttlebody would need a tune)

Another question is what problems am i going to run into driveline wise?
can a 6spd man take that much power in stock form or will it need to be beefed up?
the clutch would need to be beefed up also - any recomendations?
also brakes?
ive heard of cars breaking c/v's - is this common?

any tips and your experiences much appreciated.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
ha we have similar goals. my plan was for a ss or hsv of some type. but due to insurance reasons its been set back till 25.

as for tuning. like you said for the common mods like exhaust etc a tune is not needed. you just wont get the best out of your mods. but saying that there is not much point of getting a full exhaust then tuning it if you plan on installing a mssive cam in the not too distant future. so just plan everything out.

accordfing to street commodores(cant remeber wat issue) but they said the t56 is pretty much bullet proof. just upgrade the clutch and your laughing. but that only wat they said i dont know personally.

its always a good idea to beef up the brakes on an 11 sec car

never heard of a commodore breaking cv's. i would say you would break your diff more then anything.

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
ha we have similar goals. my plan was for a ss or hsv of some type. but due to insurance reasons its been set back till 25.

as for tuning. like you said for the common mods like exhaust etc a tune is not needed. you just wont get the best out of your mods. but saying that there is not much point of getting a full exhaust then tuning it if you plan on installing a mssive cam in the not too distant future. so just plan everything out.

accordfing to street commodores(cant remeber wat issue) but they said the t56 is pretty much bullet proof. just upgrade the clutch and your laughing. but that only wat they said i dont know personally.

its always a good idea to beef up the brakes on an 11 sec car

never heard of a commodore breaking cv's. i would say you would break your diff more then anything.
couldnt have said it beta! wuld be the diff for sure.

-SV6-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Looking back now and i am doing it with the SV6. I am going to buy all the parts i need then getting it fitted and tuned once, instead of small changes and a heap of tunes. With my SS it was put something in, tune, putt a Haltech in tune. Poor planning on my part and good business for my tuner.

esp22

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Commodore 6sp man
Great stuff guys...ive got sv6 in same impulse blue and 6 speed manual like u both and plaaning on upgrading to either ssz, ssv ve or hsv gts y. Great minds think a like obviously in this situation but once again insurance...and only just turnin 18 insurance will hurt. Anoter question, is the new 6.0i introduced in late ss vz any better than the 5.7i??THANKS

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
yeup the 6.0l is turnin out to be a very good motor. i read somwhere that it is based on a truck or suv motor unlike the 5.7 which was built for the corvette. so people where worried that it wouldnt perform aswell. but its apparently the opposite. in one of the other threads here someone says it has heads based of the ls7 etc. which is a good thing