Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

plastic idler pully

5 speed VR

Green Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Exc 5 spd
changed the spark plug leads in my car this arvo and after i completed it i started the car and noticed a little spark on the idler pully assembly, so i tuned off the light and looked at it in the dark and noticed that there is alot of static discharge happening. so just wondering since i got the whole idler pully assembly replaced it came with the plastic pully, is it replaceable with the metal pully and do you think it is doing any harm sparking?

glennis

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim wagon, vs wagon (project) & vx belina
yeah u can replace these pulleys with metal ones, i did , 22 $$ from autobarn(for a vr idler), i once had a vs with 3 pulleys(plastic) 2 of which exploded on a freeway, lucky for me i had some tools and the pulleys, i just changed thenm on the side of the rd

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The plastic idler pulleys are throw away items. The metals ones can have the bearings replaced.

xXDazXx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
yeah u can replace these pulleys with metal ones, i did , 22 $$ from autobarn(for a vr idler), i once had a vs with 3 pulleys(plastic) 2 of which exploded on a freeway, lucky for me i had some tools and the pulleys, i just changed them on the side of the rd

2/3 of mine did the same thing Lol. Put Metal ones on and its been sweet since.

5 speed VR

Green Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Exc 5 spd
in that case looks like i will be changing it this weekend then. Thanks