Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help :/ ignition issue

Jayous

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SS
Okay so the story is that my girlfriend was driving my 95 vs vacationer-auto- took it to the gym was running fine turned it off walked inside come out an hour later and went to start it, the key turns to where it should crank, but nothing....like its completely dead. battery isn't flat, checked some fuses, checked aswell as i could "in the gym carpark" the cords to start motor. the interior light comes on the doors lock etc... tried to give it a good slap into park for the neutral switch thing, i think its the ignition barrel somehow but usually they just get stuck...i'm out of ideas and am going to have to call a mobile auto elec"which means $$$", just thought you guys might have some sort of ideas to what it could be or how to see if it will start..i'm stumped.
thanks for your time guys

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I don't know is its the same but my old VT Calais did the same sort of thing one day, all of a sudden it just only started when it wanted to. It would lock and unlock fine but I couldn't start the car at all. After reading some stuff on here and talking to a mechanic I went and bought a new key head (the black bit with the buttons) and it worked perfect ever since :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is the metal ring around the barrel making good contact with the little metal nub on the keyhead?

9C1pack

Reaction score
The ignition barrel (that the key goes into) has a little lug on the end that engages with the switch, these often break off.
Remove the upper and lower steering column cover, the actual switch is on the passenger side of the column, (from memory) remove it, make sure car is in park and you should be able to rotate it and start the car (if the barrel is the fault).
Its been covered on here before, do a search for a how to replace ignition barrel. A lock smith can supply one and match it to your key for $50- ish