Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP installing car alarm remote start

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
hello all,
i am installing a car alarm into the vn and most of it i am totally fine with but two things have me well, not stumped, but perplexed.
any help would be greatly appreciated,

the relay i have but coming out of it is two green wires and yellow and a white,

the picture explains in mostly,
thank you very much

Cheers
chris

Attachments

• alaaaa.jpg
    alaaaa.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 12,066

MudBlood

Insert Cool Title Here
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim + VZ SV6 + VY Gen3 SS Crewman
Wouldn't that be a sparky lead? coil pack or something?

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
Looks like one of those spy car alarms off ebay.
I installed one of these into my vr the other week.
I haven't gotten around to the immobiliser yet, but from what i gather, the relay splits your coil wire (green) gets triggered by yellow, and then white goes to 12v. Not sure why it needs the 12v though.
Maybe somebody else can shed some light on this?

As for the start sensing wire...
Basically when u hit remote start, the 'brain' unit cranks the car over, then looks at this wire for a signal to show the car has started.
So you need to find a wire that is only live when the car is running, or wire it to a spark plug or something similar.
I didn't like the idea of doing that so i've just got mine wired to constant 12v.
All this means that the car will only crank once, but my car starts first time everytime, its not a problem.
How did you go with the door pins?
I has a ****load of trouble with them cause of the dome like delay making the alarm think the doors r open.
Oh and if it is the spy alarm system you've got, they are pretty bloody good. Just replace the batteries in the key fobs with some of those nimh rechargeables as the ones they ship with are garbage.

Hope this helps,
-smurf

Reaction score
I have one of these alarms too, no real issues as of yet.

however, if you can't work out what that diagram is saying, you really shouldn't be installing an alarm.

the instructions are suggesting you imobilise the coil by putting the relay in series with the 12 volts to the coil.

the diagram you posted even shows what the different coloured wires are for.

btw, you didn't actually ask a question.

the start sensing wire is just that, its a start sensing wire, wrapped around a spark plug lead 5 - 6 times, just like the instructions say.

when the engine is cranking, its only turning at like 300rpm, when it starts, its turning at 700rpm, the alarm sensors this, and stops cranking.

Reaction score
As for the start sensing wire...
Basically when u hit remote start, the 'brain' unit cranks the car over, then looks at this wire for a signal to show the car has started.
So you need to find a wire that is only live when the car is running, or wire it to a spark plug or something similar.
I didn't like the idea of doing that so i've just got mine wired to constant 12v.
All this means that the car will only crank once, but my car starts first time everytime, its not a problem.

ah, thats really completely and utterly wrong.

wrap the wire around a spark plug lead like the manual says.

chances are you've killed that part of the circuit by connecting it straight to 12 volts.

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
ah, thats really completely and utterly wrong.

wrap the wire around a spark plug lead like the manual says.

chances are you've killed that part of the circuit by connecting it straight to 12 volts.

If you read the manual correctly, you'll see it wants to be wrapped around the spark plug itself, not just around the outside of the lead. I didn't want some wire hanging in between my lead and plug which could cause arcing orsomething like that. And as for killing the circuit, my remote start works perfect, and i'm pretty sure if you wire it to a spark plug or coil as it says, your gonna get alot higher voltage than 12v.

cheers
-smurf

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
As for the immobiliser relay.
It simply splices in between the coils positive wire, with the green wires, the yellow wire triggers the relay to switch on or off, as for the white wire, which ges to constant 12v according to that diagram, has a resistor between itself and yellow. none of the other immobilisers i have wired have had this white wire, but it tells you where to put it, so i can't see an issue with that.
-smurf

Reaction score
If you read the manual correctly, you'll see it wants to be wrapped around the spark plug itself, not just around the outside of the lead. I didn't want some wire hanging in between my lead and plug which could cause arcing orsomething like that. And as for killing the circuit, my remote start works perfect, and i'm pretty sure if you wire it to a spark plug or coil as it says, your gonna get alot higher voltage than 12v.

cheers
-smurf

it wants you to wrap it around the lead.

no electrical connection, it just acts like a transformer, and induces a small voltage into the wire so the alarm can detect the engine revs.

it shouldn't be anywhere near 12 volts, it could just be a fraction of a volt.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
thanks guys almost done then she's all sweet
appriciate your help

smurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 S pack Ute
Did you end up wrapping it around the lead?
lemme know if it worked and i'll change mine, wiring it straight to 12v seemed to work fine, but for the longevity of the thing i'll definaely change it if it woks.
cheers
-smurf