Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help lost ve ute key

obieeve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
Hi all,
Iv'e had my ute key stollen.
Iv'e been quoted $700.00 from a locksmith to replace it and reprogram it.
Or go through holden and have to put the ute on a trailer and take it to the holden dealer closest is 100km away to have it programed.
Is there a cheaper and easier way to have it programed than having to truck it to a dealers any advise will be appreciated.
P.s was a ford man for years till i was given a vs commodore years ago on realizing holdens are way better, i've stuck to them ever since my latest a ve omega ute.
Thanks in advance.

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
Mostly time and travel, If you could get it to the locksmith, the price should drop to $200 ish per key.
When i needed a spare key it was a cheaper to drop in, wait 20-30 min and he was able to work with other customers while the car was in a wait state. (10 min i think) to enable key setup.

Most locksmiths don't have the gear, Or it's broken, or that guys away...but keep calling them.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
Why could you not take the ignition barrel out (not hard to do)and take it to a locksmith. He can make another key to fit your barrel. Might save you a few hundred dollars that way.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I notice that in your profile you list your location as Australia. Australia is a country, not a city, town or realistic location when people may be trying to help you by providing location specific information to try and resolve your problem. Perhaps something like Liverpool NSW, or Deer Park Victoria etc etc. would be a lot more meaningful. Cheers.

obieeve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
I notice that in your profile you list your location as Australia. Australia is a country, not a city, town or realistic location when people may be trying to help you by providing location specific information to try and resolve your problem. Perhaps something like Liverpool NSW, or Deer Park Victoria etc etc. would be a lot more meaningful. Cheers.
I don't lie so didn't want to put a town near me and didn't want to put my town as its a small country town in vic this is the net and i dont want some body turning up here if they disagree with what ive said its happened befor so to avoid it i put Australia

obieeve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
I've decided to go genuine and get a key from holden as you can bet the locksmith won't carry genuine holden keys that the quality is crap they are going to send it to a locksmith to cut then post it out to me holden has my key cutting code.
then to pair it to the car holden in bendigo said id have to stick it on a trailer and take it to them for pairing cost $120.00 plus fuel to and from 220km
but i found a mechanic in my town that will come to my place and do it for $45.00.
anyone got an idea what a locksmith will charge to cut it?.

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
I was told, could be crap, the car needs to see two keys when in program mode, or its left in open mode waiting for next key.
Happy to be wrong, but i did find this with a quick google.

Note: All programmed keys previously have to be programmed again or they will be deleted from the system. Press Enter to continue. Note: At least two transponder keys must be programmed. (If a second transponder key is not programmed an immobilizer service message will continually appear on the instrument display). Press Enter to continue.

so maybe not open, but constant reminder you didn't do two keys...

obieeve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute
I'm not rich enough to do 2 keys.
it started at $700 for a lock smith to come and do it.
then for holden in bendigo $260 for the key $30 to cut it and $120 to pair it needed ute there to do it.
after looking around echuca holden $228 for key $30 to cut it $45 to pair it locally they come to me.
they also said if the new key wont turn the old lock ill need to buy a new barrel dig diff $700 to $303
thanks everyone for your help