Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help. My vf head light low beam blew so i replaced

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
has had a couple of accidents
Were any of the lights damaged due to the accidents? If so, I would be checking for bare wires shorting.
I had an indicator fuse kept blowing due to the the wiring being trapped and rubbing under the new tray they put on the back of my single cab Ute.
The dealer couldn't find the problem (what's new). Ended up finding it myself.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The dealer couldn't find the problem (what's new). Ended up finding it myself.
I was a final year apprentice mechanic at the dealership where I worked and got a job with low beam not working. I tested the plugs at the headlights and they both had low beam power and told the foreman it's likely 2 blown globes. He told me no way; they'll never blow 2 globes at the same time so he had me strip the wiring harness from the headlights to the switch and look for bare wires and shorts.

14 hours later the following day after finding nothing wrong with the harness, I conned spare parts to lend me 2 new globes without a parts acquisition to test the headlights and miraculously fixed the problem. Then I spent another 4 hours taping the harness back up because the foreman was an idiot who would've been a more valuable staff member sweeping the floor.

Some of the diagnostic and repair processes we were told to do made no sense at all and isn't surprising that dealerships commonly struggle to find and remedy problems when the people giving the orders have no idea!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I was a final year apprentice mechanic at the dealership where I worked and got a job with low beam not working. I tested the plugs at the headlights and they both had low beam power and told the foreman it's likely 2 blown globes. He told me no way; they'll never blow 2 globes at the same time so he had me strip the wiring harness from the headlights to the switch and look for bare wires and shorts.

14 hours later the following day after finding nothing wrong with the harness, I conned spare parts to lend me 2 new globes without a parts acquisition to test the headlights and miraculously fixed the problem. Then I spent another 4 hours taping the harness back up because the foreman was an idiot who would've been a more valuable staff member sweeping the floor.

Some of the diagnostic and repair processes we were told to do made no sense at all and isn't surprising that dealerships commonly struggle to find and remedy problems when the people giving the orders have no idea!

With the benefit of age, you could have carefully placed a strategically placed short, or insulation break, in the exposed harness and call the foreman over. He would have thought he was right all along. Meanwhile you‘d know the real truth.

You’d be entering the world of diplomacy - both of you walk away knowing that you were right! :)