Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help - possible reasons for noise from engine in VY series II

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
Occassionally have had a slight buzzing noise (like wasp stuck in it's nest) that seems to come from the instrument panel (apparently :confused: ). It only happens sometimes, and only at speed (ie.60-90 kmh) so it's not easy (or safe) to track down. I can't recall the last time I heard it, so maybe it's worn away. :D

Then there's also the occassionaly squeaking/rubbing noise that occurs only after I open the driver's window, and close it again.

Anyone else had these?

Reaction score
The only noise I have heard that is similar to your description is the ventilation system. Sometimes (rarely) it seems a "wind vane" that must move to mix the hot and cols air seems to get caught in the wrong spot and vibrates like a purring sound. It's not that is it? Engine bay right near the dash is about the right spot for it too. Maybe make some radical adjustments to the temperature settings up and down and screen to face to floor etc just to move all the parts and see if that's it.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
sound like a flange gaget or cracked manifold (exhaust)
feel around with your hand for escaping exhaust gases

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I've never heard anything like that, but two things came to mind when I was reading the threads. Leaf in the airconditioning duct, or tube has come loose from the air-conditioning. :whistling

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
LOL!!!!! Pull out your dash and look for a cat purring,
also check for kittens under the seat, found this normally the cause of a purring noise!!!
Just another thought, have you recently run over a cat that has come back to haunt you??

Reaction score
LOL!!! Maybe the car loves the way you drive it so much that it is purrrrrring with pleasure!!

Ute2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6 M6
Hmm, I have this noise too! I think its just low rev engine vibration. The ute is making its 4th trip to Holden as there is a huge droning noise everytime I make a left turn and the radio now won't even pick up the local stations in Brisbane all that well anymore.

Purplecrewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman
HI laila

Maybe its the vacuum hoses on the heater controls as someoen told me that they are vacume controlled. Maybe this si the issues.