Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help...

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
Please Help...VS Commodore "Purge Tank" leaking????

Hey Guys,
Dont post much hear, but spend heaps of time looking at the forum...

Anyway...i have an issue...i pulled up in my VS commodore ute this afternoon and could here a hissing sound coming from under the bonnet. Upon further inspection it seemed to be leaking from a "purge tank" that is bolted to the radiator area at the front on the drivers side. There are 3 hoses coming from this tank...

Ok...so i have looked through some books etc i have hear and done a search online but still have no clue what this tank does nor how to fix the problem. I am assuming that the "purge tank" will need to be replaced, but what is it for and is it something i can do??

Any help will be really appreciated...

Cheers
Benny J

Here are some photos of the location of the tank....

P1020710.jpg

P1020711.jpg

Last edited:

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Looking at the bottom picture, I would be tempted to check the top radiator hose, they will often split at the clamp and you won't see it. That hose looks pretty gone to me as can be seen by the rounding at the back of the clamp.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Yep agreed with above, and the suspected "water marks" on the Carbon Canister is a bit of a dead give away there is a leak coming from the hose.

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
Thanks guys...i will check it out in the morning. I was sure the hissing was coming from the canister...but i will check out the hose.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I reckon it ain't the hose...it's the side tank that's split where the top hose clamps on....this is the usual fail point. If not replaced soon, it will blow completely. Ebay has radiators for about $100 delivered.

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
SO would the carbon cannister not be holding pressure and the hose would be?? I just had a quick look at the hose and it looks fine. :axe:

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
I reckon it ain't the hose...it's the side tank that's split where the top hose clamps on....this is the usual fail point. If not replaced soon, it will blow completely. Ebay has radiators for about $100 delivered.

Hmm...so the radiator itself huh?? I will have to check it out.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m with hako mate.

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
:idea: its your car getting back at you that engine its dirty lol jks but as said above agree with hako