Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plenum / TB Spacer on a V8

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Do the plenum spacers work on the V6, if so what's the result and would it work on a V8?
Has anyone used a throttle body spacer to extend the plenum volume etc?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I would think there are much better $ per Kw alternatives to making power, you gain very little from them on the V6.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Plenum spacers on the 6 aren't about kw, they're about the one common issue with the Emo, heat-soak. The air temp sensor is in the air box and it's a long, hot ride to the combustion chamber.

For that issue they work brilliantly and also provide a bit more fuel efficiency.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
You can also make your own spacers & they work out to be a lot cheaper, just not as thermally restrictive as the MACE spacers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You have to make the distinction as there are 2 spacers/insulators for the ecotec. The plenum spacer and the manifold spacer. The plenum spacer increases the plenum volume and helps to improve air distribution inside the plenum. The manifold spacer increases the length of the intake runners which moves the torque curve in relation to RPM. Both have the added benefit of reducing heat soak in the intake system.

Fitting a TB spacer would only marginally increase the plenum volume so IMO more hassle/cost than worth or improvement.

The later style LS engines use a composite type intake manifold that is already separated from the engine valley so a lot less heat soak. If your talking about a Holden 304 that the issue is the design of the intake manifold with the plenum directly above the engine valley where it gets heated like an oven. The only real solution is to change to a different type manifold. The other option would be heat treatment coatings but it would be very difficult to say how effective they would be without a bit of testing.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Fitting a TB spacer would only marginally increase the plenum volume so IMO more hassle/cost than worth or improvement.

The one thing I will say is that throttle body spacer (that I made) cost me $7 & there was a slight improvement, worth it in my opinion.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

I thought MACE sold spacers for sixes only is why I didn't read that, sorry.

You have to make the distinction as there are 2 spacers/insulators for the ecotec. The plenum spacer and the manifold spacer. The plenum spacer increases the plenum volume and helps to improve air distribution inside the plenum. The manifold spacer increases the length of the intake runners which moves the torque curve in relation to RPM. Both have the added benefit of reducing heat soak in the intake system.

The later style LS engines also use a composite type intake manifold that is already separated from the engine valley so a lot less heat soak. If your talking about a Holden 304 that the issue is the design of the intake manifold with the plenum directly above the engine valley where it gets heated like an oven. The only real solution is to change to a different type manifold. The other option would be heat treatment coatings but it would be very difficult to say how effective they would be without a bit of testing.

I did put some heat shielding underneath the composite manifold while I had it off, thanks for that.

The one thing I will say is that throttle body spacer (that I made) cost me $7 & there was a slight improvement, worth it in my opinion.

Yeah a lot of bad press and snake oil solutions for TB spacers on the net, I bought this one and ran it for a while before I ordered a custom composite manifold and ported TB from Rick Crawford:

ga7ara3u.jpg

Link is here:
http://www.vararam.com/power-wedge.html

Bottom line (with a MAFless tune) is that it did alter the torque curve to have more down low and mid range.

Just wondered if it was the bees dick plenum extension or some other jiggery pokery as to whether I should strap it on again.

Should I give the Powerwedge another whirl or maybe it was the placebo effect and need to recalibrate the torque sensor on my bum?

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Pir4te,
Which one fits the L77? Is it the L99 90mm - VRX-93?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Power wedge lol. More like door stop.

Mate put 12mm plenum spacer on his group a manifold on a 600HP 383 stroker. Made 0 gains. If it was to do anything at all it would be on that motor yet it didn't.

We just asking him how his 12mm gasket is going. Lol