Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plug and horn not working

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can anyone tell me what this plug is off as i can't see anywhere for it to go? Also shouldn't the horn work without the wheel in? Don't want to put it back together and then not work.
20180110_132440_resized.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So if I connect a ground to the spring switch that rubs on the steering wheel boss the horn works. If I connect wires to the wheel with it roughly on I get no horn. Steering shaft is getting ground. Not sure if I need to tighten the wheel right up before the horn will work??? Trying to avoid that for now in case the wheel is not centred and I need to get it back off again. Can't test for centre real easy until I have the drive shaft back in. So for now I think I will leave the horn and tackle it at a later stage. That just leaves me the orange and white wire plug that runs through the same conduit as the key sensor wire which is the purple one. Really want to get the covers back on but need to know what this plug is for in case I am blind. Anyone know???

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok so I have worked out the plug is to do with the main switch for the interior light. However I still can not see where it should go?? The interior light does not turn on with the dash-light dimmer switch like it should. I am having trouble trying to figure out why a switch wire for the interior would be near the key barrel??

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Answered in your other thread as well, its for the little globe that shines over the keybarrel (Small globe - in a green housing)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
The brass pin wears so it no longer hits on the brass ring on hub of steering wheel=no horn, common issue and holdens no longer have new pins :(
Ive patched mine 3 times now and it always ends up wearing out in a few mth to a year.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for the heads up Wozza and Stockies. I have just a look and yep that would be why when I touched the two prongs together accidently with the test light it blew the fuse. Now I need to find a wreck with globe and holder in it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found the bulb holder at the wreckers basically every vr and vs had one. Only thing is there a cover that sits over it? I just can't see the holder staying in place on its own. There were none of the latter in any of the wrecks.

Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
The brass pin wears so it no longer hits on the brass ring on hub of steering wheel=no horn, common issue and holdens no longer have new pins :(
Ive patched mine 3 times now and it always ends up wearing out in a few mth to a year.....
How did you fix your pin? Im taking my steering wheel off today to see what the go is as the horn only works when the wheel is turned.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Have a look in the how to section there are a number of suggestions there..I used a 9v battery plug cap but doesn't last long

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ive heard you can add some solder to the head of the button.