Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plz help 4th gear auto wont work

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
i have a vs v6 automatic and it wont change into 4th gear before it stopped completely it would go in but change down to 3rd after driving for a while. is it likely to be the shift solarnoid or something else

thanks

Last edited:

lgnd3800

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
BUSted VR
My Vr when it was auto was like that, sometimes it would go into 4th and not change down to 3rd, then it got to the stage it wouldnt go into 4th either and stayed like that, the guy that bought my Auto has had no prob so it could be a faulty wire in the loom

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Go under the car and you'll see a bunch of wires on the passenger side of the trans. Make sure they are all connected and tight.

But I doubt its the problem. More likely the shift solenoid. Try giving it a service.

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
i have the service kit and was gunna do it this weekend, i will check the solanoids when the pan is off. are they easy to get to when the pan is off and how many ohms should they be?

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do a code test and see what it says. For the resistance of the solenoids you'll need to search the web for 4L60E....though from what I've heard they usually jam or stick which a resistance check won't pick up.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The shift solenoid can be prevented from working for many reasons - jamming, sticking, wires not making contact, internal shorting, VSS not working etc etc. By just replacing it you cannot be sure that it will work as its at the end of a chain of command. I'd do a service - oil and filter - see how that goes. Also do a GOOGLE search for 4L60E - there are millions of these units around.

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
i gave my tranny a good service and cleaned a layer of sludge from the bottom of the pan, it runs better now but still 4th gear wont engage. so i think i should change the solarnoid next weekend when i have time what do people think.

Thanks