Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plz HELP! When AC on, does your compressor make a whirring sound when you accelerate?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Well don't feed it after midnight no sunlight and don't bath it

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hey Darren!
Ive done what you suggested above! Got weird readings, like not consistent and random. Got a question...is the AC clutch supposed to kick in when i connect the leads like what you suggested for the test?
If not, then why connect one lead to the connector wire and the other to the compressor socket? Why not just connect both leads to the connector wire and get the reading since that reading will be the voltage going to the compressor?

You will get weird readings if you select DC Volt. That way he suggested is for testing "current" draw. (Amps). Do it the way you suggested. You will need to connect to earth and positive on the connector. After you have done that and got your readings, plug it back up to the compressor, turn it on and try to put the probes of the multi meter on the pins of the plug and see what reading you get.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
You will get weird readings if you select DC Volt. That way he suggested is for testing "current" draw. (Amps). Do it the way you suggested. You will need to connect to earth and positive on the connector. After you have done that and got your readings, plug it back up to the compressor, turn it on and try to put the probes of the multi meter on the pins of the plug and see what reading you get.

Im sorry but im still learning this stuff...

hook up a digital multimeter in line with the circuit
ie - grab your trusty multimeter, select DCV range.

Thats why i did DCV.
Besides, testing Amps while engine running?? Is that possible?

This is what i understand so far:

1. Select DCV and hook up a multi meter in line with the connector and the compressor socket, turn on the AC (the clutch should kick in at this point, getting its power through the multimeter). The reading should be no less than 0.5 volts of what the alternator/battery reads.

2. Disconnect the compressor connector from the compressor socket. Select DCV on the multimeter. Connect the black and red lead of the multimeter to the earth and positive pins of the connector. Reading should be same or very close to alternator/battery reading when AC is off.
3. Keep connector connected to compressor. Turn on AC. Stick the multimeter leads in the connector though where the 2 wires are connected to it.

4. Didnt understand the Amps part.
Im not sure if i understood it correctly or which method is more accurate to determine what im looking for.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Im sorry but im still learning this stuff...

Thats why i did DCV.
Besides, testing Amps while engine running?? Is that possible?

This is what i understand so far:

1. Select DCV on the multi meter and hook up a multi meter in line with the connector and the compressor socket, turn on the AC (the clutch should kick in at this point, getting its power through the multimeter). The reading should be no less than 0.5 volts of what the alternator/battery reads.

2. Disconnect the compressor connector from the compressor socket. Select DCV on the multimeter. Connect the black and red lead of the multimeter to the earth and positive pins of the connector. Reading should be same or very close to alternator/battery reading when AC is off.
3. Keep connector connected to compressor. Turn on AC. Stick the multimeter leads in the connector though where the 2 wires are connected to it.

4. Didnt understand the Amps part.
Im not sure if i understood it correctly or which method is more accurate to determine what im looking for.

Just do what you said in number 2, of your post. You don't need to check the current draw (amps) yet. Just check the voltage.
Connecting the meter in line (series) with a component, especially one with high current (amp) draw is not a good idea for long periods and is NOT a way of measuring voltage. That's the way you measure amps.
Most multimeters have a fuse in them for testing current draw and they are usually only 10 amps.