Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Filter Exploded

jpeg.picky

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT SS SV6
First up about my car, VN 3.6 w. Cold air intake, pod filter, FE2 Suspension, Sway bars, Strut Bars (Engine + Boot), Supercharged V6 Injectors, Extractors... car is also Duel Fuel.

Started her up this morning, on gas, gave her a bit of a rev - nothing higher then 3K - as my morning routine before i go to work. Greeted with a extremely loud Explosion... thought it was a backfire first off so start car again on gas and BOOM!.... bugger this, switched it to petrol and she runs fine.

During lunch break @ IBM, popped the hood just to check everythings alright, and damn Pod filter has BLOWN off....

Ideas? as to what caused this? thing is had no warning, as my gauges for oil and temp are as per norm...

Attachments

• blownPOD.JPG
    blownPOD.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 636

timmyscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN wagon manual 3.8, 86 VK sedan 3.3
keep ya foot off the accelator when starting mate and ull have no more problems. ur not alone tho, ive blown my air box cos ive been used to starting the VK with a bit of throttle.

Attachments

• Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 429

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Thats it, any accelorator on the gas systems makes em fire back through the intake, my old mans jackaroo had the same problem, blew nemurous airboxes apart and ripped the underside of the bonnet apart. Solution, on the intake pipe, there was a hole drilled, maybe 20-30mm in diameter with what was originally a sock over it, basically a good stubbie holder, think one, thats whats on there now. With that, it blows the air back through that at high force rather than blowing the airbox apart, works a treat and was originally fitted by the boys at holden, ill get a photo when dad gets home and post it up for ya's all to see

aokman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Super6
Yup the old backfire on a GAS VN :bow: my mates has done it many times aswell, best option ive seen is to drill a hole in the intake pipe and put a rubber plug in it, it should blow that out in the case of a backfire.

timmyscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN wagon manual 3.8, 86 VK sedan 3.3
same theory as the other guys, this is mine.. three holes on the intake covered with a wetsuit like material, i also repalced the box with a pod (k and n one) and shes survived many a backfires. i would be buying a better pod mate, i dunno about the other brands but the one i got is reinforced with wire.

Attachments

• car 3.JPG
    car 3.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 373
  • car5.JPG
    car5.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 475
  • pod.JPG
    pod.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 459
  • podg.JPG
    podg.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 499

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Yep, wetsuit material, same gear as a stubbie holder, stubie holders work well cos they are already a tube, if its the right size, works a treat

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
So motors running on petrol don't do this then? Cos some times my VN doesn't want to start unless I give it a little push on the accelerator..

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
My VN also did this afew times a year or so ago only in hot wheather though it just desinergrated my airbox to nothing.It used to happen when i would put my foot down taking off from traffic lights ect.But since i put a pod on my car it has never happend.

tropical^fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais 5.0
My VP was running extremly well until the other day (my mate drove it and gave it a thrashing, wasnt happy) anyway - i have a K&N filter, re-enforced lifetime guarantee... needless to say, with me driving it for a year it lasted, and lasted well - 5 minutes him driving it, backfired a few times (no rev limiter with the LPG) and blew the insides out of the end of the pod... runs good now, just dont rev it over 7k like he did and your fine lol

N

nemodore

this back fire can also be caused from the gas system leaning out to far aswell. some times it pays to have it checked out.