Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pod filter question and pics.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
American site
http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5051AS
Not sure on the size of this one, but probably big enough
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-Carbon-Fibre-Cold-Air-Intake-Pod-Filter-Kit_W0QQitemZ110111554647QQcategoryZ50138QQcmdZViewItem
Again, not sure about size, but should be right.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Jazz-Carbon-Fibre-Enclosed-Pod-Filter-Kit_W0QQitemZ110111554545QQcategoryZ102337QQcmdZViewItem
Here's an aussie site that sells the apollo.
https://www.americanautos.com.au
None of these are a definitive answer as such, but all are under $400, actually all are under $250. Some are more restrictive than others, but the venturi effect created by the enclosed section should help that issue.
I dont know your money situation, just wanted to show you that there are other alternatives out there.

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
nice work, i can see that american autos site coming in handy :p the K&N apollo filter would be my best bet for a good pod setup because its already shielded, but yeah ill be doing some of the other essentials (exhaust, some tranny work, lowered) before i get back to a nice custom built intake...

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
just put a wildcat pod filter on my mates vn and it made a heap of difference to performance and it only has the chrome surround that they sell with them wrapped around it where the airbox used to be right behind the light .maybe not too good when stuck in lights and traffic but he mainly drives open road anyway.the wildcat filters were advertized as being better than two leading named brand competiters when it came to flow I read here that k&n pod gives no power increase on the dyno but others do but the k&n panel filter was better than stock panel filter and K&N pod.in a box with cold air intakes is the best setup at speed you would get positive pressure in the box id say.

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
Here's something i found.

You could try these i found on a thread on here. you can run a hose the size of vacum tube from front of air dam to sheild if you like ( i have two running from ether side of my air dam)but you need to get rid of the hot air that form's round air intake on the v8's and v6's.Cheers

Attachments

• S6000252.JPG
    S6000252.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 881
  • holden-cia-box-for-VR-SS.jpg
    holden-cia-box-for-VR-SS.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,944

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
That second setup is not real bright. Panel filters work because all of the filter is exposed to the incoming air, but that second pic shows that the bottom half of the filter is blocked off by the front of the old airbox, and some of the filter is even resting on the airbox. The first box is a pretty good setup, but could be better. Goto clark rubber, grab some rubber tube, split it and run a bead around the bottom and the top of the plate. This way it's not rubbing on bare metal on the bottom, and if measured right, could form a crude seal between the bonnet and the bodywork on top.

kaishiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac Manual.
thanks for all your replys to this topic. i have finally decided to get a k&n filter and to put a D.I.Y illegal C.A.I in it. i guess i would have to purchase a stock airbox just incase aswell. anybody here has just lately put in their own CAI sys been studying it and the only problem i can see is the joint into the air box. but this is for another thread. end3rs set up looks very weird but i guess it works for you and you are happy so thats the main thing. i guess my question has been answered you can not put a pod in the original airbox unless you cut it up. cheers....

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Dont purchase the stock airbox, just have the money for incase. There are multiple ways of attaching the CAI to the airbox, everything from nothing, sikafles, silicone and even inserts with t-clamps/cir-clips. Best thing to do imho when modding your stick airbox, only make the hole *just* big enough to fit the piping in, and dont push the piping in to far inside the airbox, this dsirupts flow.