Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Policy with speed cameras?

Trei

The Skaife Fan Man.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
What I love... is in Victoria, vehicles are allowed to have speedometre inaccuracy of up to ten percent.
Effectively, 6 kms in a 60 zone, 7 kms in a 70 zone and ... you betcha, under Victorian law, your speedo can say 100 when you're actually doing 110.

This seems counterintuitive does it not ? tolerating speedometre inaccuracy by this much but...commonly police will fine people for going 65 in a 60 zone (less than ten percent over), or 109 in a 100 zone (again, less than 10 percent over)

All seems a bit stupid to me really. OH and the margin of error on their multinova's is a hell of a lot bigger than they say it is, but for God's sake don't let the public find out innocent people are being fined for going a few kms over "supposedly".

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I got a fine recently too.... in the past 3 weeks, and was also shocked to see they only knocked off 2 km's from the detected speed. My last fine was a couple years ago and I remember reading on it that their policy was to knock off 3 km's from the detected speed, or 3% if over 100 km/h.
I was detected doing 108, and so they brought the alleged speed down to 106, which makes no difference so i don't really care, but was just shocked that the tolerance had been brought down to 2 km/h.

Just_Ice

Reaction score
OH and the margin of error on their multinova's is a hell of a lot bigger than they say it is, but for God's sake don't let the public find out innocent people are being fined for going a few kms over "supposedly".

Got anything to back this up.. I am very interested....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What I love... is in Victoria, vehicles are allowed to have speedometre inaccuracy of up to ten percent.
Effectively, 6 kms in a 60 zone, 7 kms in a 70 zone and ... you betcha, under Victorian law, your speedo can say 100 when you're actually doing 110.

This seems counterintuitive does it not ? tolerating speedometre inaccuracy by this much but...commonly police will fine people for going 65 in a 60 zone (less than ten percent over), or 109 in a 100 zone (again, less than 10 percent over)

All seems a bit stupid to me really. OH and the margin of error on their multinova's is a hell of a lot bigger than they say it is, but for God's sake don't let the public find out innocent people are being fined for going a few kms over "supposedly".

:rofl: You never make me stop laughing with these pathetic posts.

I suppose roswell and 911 are government cover ups also? Or maybe the US never landed on the moon too!!

Have you ever stopped and thought that just maybe it isnt the police equipment that is ****ed, but the driver that is ****ed? People always looking for any excuse to blame police for YOUR mistake. It is quite obvious that when it comes to police everything from you is negative. Grow the hell up.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2

actually your not allowed the whole 10% **** anymore, they dont do it anymore.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I thought the policy was that speedos could read up to 10% over, but 0% under. Either way, it shouldn't make a difference.

I took my cluster apart and realigned the speedo needle so that it sits a couple of kays over my actual speed. That, and some sensible driving - and I'm close to 2yrs without a ticket now. It isn't that hard if you pay attention to what's going on around you :)

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
if anything i reckon anything over 100 - 110km's shouldnt have ANYTHING knocked off their detected speed.........its not like you dont notice going over 100kms thats still pretty fast.........fair enough you were doing maybe 65 in a 60 zone i guess........but over 100km's its pretty noticible when you are driving........

thats my 2 cents.........now im broke
I would have to disagree on the over 100 is pretty noticeable part. I think its easier to go over 100km/h especially if you have a bit of a drive and your a little tired. I know that I can drop under 100 and go over 100 without noticing it at times.

But yeah, over 110 to me is noticeable.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I agree with Mack, the difference between 100 and 110 isn't that noticeable. Especially in a fairly new car. It's easy to drift up to 120, even in my diesel Triton. Being attentive is the key.

The onus of making sure your speedo is accurate is totally on the owner/driver of the car. It's only discretion that allows for a tolerance, if you were clocked doing 5 k's over but your speedo said you were doing the posted limit then you can be defected as well. 99% of police won't do it, but the more you argue the less friendly they get.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I would have to disagree on the over 100 is pretty noticeable part. I think its easier to go over 100km/h especially if you have a bit of a drive and your a little tired. I know that I can drop under 100 and go over 100 without noticing it at times.

But yeah, over 110 to me is noticeable.

well yeah when i said that i used the speed loosely...........but going at 100km is noticible hehehehe