Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor Fuel Consumption VP V6 in Triton

Russell VP

Reaction score
Hi, About 6 months ago i replaced the 2.6 litre 4 clyinder in my 2wd Mitsubishi Trition with a VP V6 engine/auto. Swap was dead simple. I realise the fuel economy would not be as good as the Commodre due to running the standard 4.2 diff. (2500rpm / 100ks) I am getting around 18L per 100k. Which is 50/50 with highway and town driving taking it very easy. I have changed the Coil Pack and DFI Module, New leads, Crank angle sensor, Oxy sensor,Map sensor, new air cleaner element and have run injector cleaner with no effect on reducing economy. Apart from Fuel economy the things starts and runs great. Maybe this is as good as its going to get. Any Ideas?

VPCalais38

VP Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP V6 Calais Series II
I average 12.9L/100km in my calais.

Used to average 17.8 before I changed the oxygen sensor.
As you have already done that it may be something else.
Can you get fault codes out of the computer?

Russell VP

Reaction score
thanks for your reply VPCalais38. I have fixed it by replacing the Coolant Temp sensor.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
I would suggest replacement of diff gears so the engine would rev lower,this will help dramatically in fuel consumption.Also have a good air intake setup to allow nice cool air into the engine.I used to have a hilux 2wd single cab with a worked 308 2000rpm stall trimatic shift kitted auto and 3.1 lsd borg warner diff and on a trip i would average around 15L per 100km and then around town would get up to 22L per 100km.

Hazy011

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VP
Hi, About 6 months ago i replaced the 2.6 litre 4 clyinder in my 2wd Mitsubishi Trition with a VP V6 engine/auto. Swap was dead simple. I realise the fuel economy would not be as good as the Commodre due to running the standard 4.2 diff. (2500rpm / 100ks) I am getting around 18L per 100k. Which is 50/50 with highway and town driving taking it very easy. I have changed the Coil Pack and DFI Module, New leads, Crank angle sensor, Oxy sensor,Map sensor, new air cleaner element and have run injector cleaner with no effect on reducing economy. Apart from Fuel economy the things starts and runs great. Maybe this is as good as its going to get. Any Ideas?
G'day Russell.
Did the change over as-well...
Put a v6 in a MJ..
Having trouble with the wiring...
Can you give us a few clues to get it right..
Thanks Steve.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Hazy011

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VP
Put a v6 in a MJ Triton
Having trouble with the wiring...
I hear that there is 3 wires, I need to run from the ecu.. To make it run...
Don't know which ones.

tortron

Reaction score
Members Ride
81 L200 Sport
Hey mate, I have a VN v6 and auto in my 81 L200. Do you have any of the wiring set up yet?
Best to take as much of the commodore engine loom as possible, can leave the original truck body loom for lights etc.