Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor Handling in the wet

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
In the end, my car can go 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds in the middle of a downpour on $70 Tyres. All you need is soft sticky tyres and a good right foot and you are right to go

PaRaDoX

From the old days
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW N54 Twin Turbo
lmao... was that a serious comment?

completely serious, one of the only cars i've owned that has... Still a **** heap fwd piece of crap, well its dead now thanks to a VE SS Ute (he decided to play chicken and lost)

Peter89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'90 S1 VN 3.8L A4 Wagon
Not having a dig at you mate, but this whole changing tyre size thing is stupid. Especially if you keep the same rolling diameter(but change rim size), because you change absolutly **** all, unless you start driving on the rim.
As has been said, a high quality tyre, thinner tyre, higher tyre pressure, and half a brain.

the point of changing the rim is to go to a lower profile and wider tyre. putting large rims and large tyres on the car will lower it's gearing, increase unsprung weight and not help with handling. however, im not talking about 5%, more like 10%+ increased size.

that tyre change calculator is useless for knowing how much your speedo is out and how much to correct it by.

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
I was lead to believe VN/VP were notorious for losing the arse end in the wet. I always sh*t myself when it rains and I go thru a roundabout. It makes it worse up here in Brizzy, when it does rain it comes down in buckets.

As for advise... I'm not sure about the whole bigger rims, lower profiles, changing shockies, or f***knows what... I think just going with good quality tyres will help more than anything.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes in 1988 they spun out easily but that was on nasty hard like concrete 185 14 inch tyres. Times have changed with tyres since then. These days no stock VN V6 should be able to spin a tyre on modern soft rubber

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Yes in 1988 they spun out easily but that was on nasty hard like concrete 185 14 inch tyres. Times have changed with tyres since then. These days no stock VN V6 should be able to spin a tyre on modern soft rubber

agree. just get some decent rubber and you wont have to worry about going backwards into a pole when it rains... as much

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
Tyres i have on at the moment on my 15X7 interceptors are the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin's
they are the best tyre i have owned and are absolutley awesome in the wet, very very good grip,
the ones i have at the moment are the (225/60R15) and they will set you back about $180 per tyre
Adrenalin Potenza RE001

cheers mate

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Here's a really alarming article relating to tread depth and wet weather performance and might explain why the OP's vehicle handles poorly in the wet:

RoSPA : Road Safety : Tyre Tread Depth

It may also explain why so often new tyres can feel like the best tyres you've ever owned (regardless of brand) if your previous tyres were worn to the indicators.

bigben379

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Im lloking for a descent set of tires at the moment, any reccomendations? ive got a vn ss, bit of a handful in the wet. also looking to upgrade suspension and brakes if you have any tips????