Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ported ecotec heads

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
im in the hunt for some ported heads for the stroker, but its hard to find any decent info on the net, and being up most of the night and asleep during the day doesnt leave me with too much time to ring around workshops for a chat.
if anyone whose had their heads ported or has bought "package ported heads" could give me some specs that would be awesome.
stuff like: where were they done, flow specs (preferably at .28" of water at intervals of .100" of lift up to .600") and cost.
also if anyone knows of people/workshops who have good rep for porting ecotec heads let me know that too.
at the moment the only half decent info i can find for ported ecotec heads is on website for places in the states - and once you add up the costs it ends up being pretty pricey to have them made up and shipped over here.
any info will be much appreciated:thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
One of my customer had the heads for his stroker ported out recently, I cant comment directly on how the porting influenced the final power figure however the motor is exceptional in power delivery and torque. Not sure the crowd who did it would have specs.

Something I was made aware of the ECOTEC cylinder head doesn't have a lot of metal that can be removed anyway so the porting is not the biggest deal like it can be in older engines with plenty metal to play with.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
One of my customer had the heads for his stroker ported out recently, I cant comment directly on how the porting influenced the final power figure however the motor is exceptional in power delivery and torque. Not sure the crowd who did it would have specs.

Something I was made aware of the ECOTEC cylinder head doesn't have a lot of metal that can be removed anyway so the porting is not the biggest deal like it can be in older engines with plenty metal to play with.

yes, ive read/heard such things about the ecotec heads too, they're already pretty good. one thing i have been told is that the valves are definately a place for improvement and can really open up the flow with some bigger stainless ones -IN 1.840" and EX 1.550" seem to be pretty common sizes for street heads.

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
im gettin my heads done as we speak to suit my turbo application from a mob down in melbourne called obrien ams. having tem ported and polished crow hd dbl vlve springs retainers,ground for lower compression etc for 895 delivered outright. pm me for more details

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
im gettin my heads done as we speak to suit my turbo application from a mob down in melbourne called obrien ams. having tem ported and polished crow hd dbl vlve springs retainers,ground for lower compression etc for 895 delivered outright. pm me for more details

thats a pretty reasonable price - you must be using stock valves? do you know what they're doing to the heads or any flow figures given to you?

to everyone else, there must be more people out there with ported heads...even if you dont have flow figures to give, just let me know where you got it done and how much it was please.

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Hey mate i got mine done at a place in sydney call race tech they did the heads for v6 vengance in street commodores and do a fair bit on the eco heads and S,c ecoheads,they will match your cam specs,The guys are very helpfull and friendly. street coms put out a v6 perfomance mods book about 4 months ago ish track that down.
Good luck, Blaise..

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
thats a pretty reasonable price - you must be using stock valves? do you know what they're doing to the heads or any flow figures given to you?

yeh just using stock valves, they are giving them a moderate port not overboard anyway. lowering the compression to 8.5-1 so i can still use stock spec pistons cause ill be rebuilding it soon using something similar to acl rs kit.
but everything is new, valves retainers guides etc, hd dbl crow springs. they should arrive l8 this week/ early next week so ill post a few pics and specs when they come.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
thanks to both of guys for your replies.
lazin - ive looked into race-tech actually, they seem to be pretty clued up about heads. lots of good info on their website, but not alot of flow charts, which is what i like to look at, lol.
might have to see if i get time to ring them, if you dont mind me asking what did your heads cost and what was done?