Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possessed VZ SV6

needinghelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04, VZ SV6
I did try looking for similar posts but couldn't quite find help.

04 VZ SV6.

- Check Alternator on dash intermittently.
While driving the dash lights, radio, gauges and all flicker or turn off for a bit than back on. Coming home before and dash flickered off and all remaining was the park brake light on with a message on dash saying Brake.

I just brought a multimeter and under load it doesn't drop past 12.7 and stays around 14.2 and is within good charging range but if I take off the negative terminal to the battery the car just dies which indicates a bad alternator.
I did notice today everytime I idle the check alternator comes on but accelerate and it turns off.

Also, this has a Mitsubishi 120amp alternator which I'm wondering, is that interchangeable with the standard 100amp alternator that's on other VZ commodores.?

Thank you.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I would say it's on the way out , I had the same issue , being replaced today

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
never disconnect battery on a modern car with engine running
you run the risk of frying every electronic module in the car
99% you have a faulty alternator
just buy an OEX replacement for the 120A
make sure to get VZ and not VE

needinghelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04, VZ SV6
never disconnect battery on a modern car with engine running
you run the risk of frying every electronic module in the car
99% you have a faulty alternator
just buy an OEX replacement for the 120A
make sure to get VZ and not VE
Thanks for the information, I didn't know it could destroy modules, I thought fuses prevented that?. Ok I found at a wreckers there's a 120A exactly the same for $70.

It's weird though right because when I search Repco ot SCA for an alternator it says the 100AMP version is the only available for my car. So I rang Repco and asked, is it okay to fit a standard 100AMP, as specified by Repco as a replacement part for my vehicle, instead of the 120AMP. He paused for 5 secs and said... If you don't mind having 20AMPs less, I guess. C'mon man...

needinghelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04, VZ SV6
if you look at the pictures you will see the bosch mounts differently to the mitsubishi
[/URL]
I cannot see it mate, can you point it out for me please.

Bosch
s-l500.jpgs-l500 (1).jpgs-l500 (2).jpgUntitled.jpghttps://www.google.com/search?q=BXM...biw=1280&bih=641&dpr=1.5#imgrc=qEluk_5-c9ZKcM

Other:
A9366124-3.jpgA9366124.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for the information, I didn't know it could destroy modules, I thought fuses prevented that?. Ok I found at a wreckers there's a 120A exactly the same for $70.

It's weird though right because when I search Repco ot SCA for an alternator it says the 100AMP version is the only available for my car. So I rang Repco and asked, is it okay to fit a standard 100AMP, as specified by Repco as a replacement part for my vehicle, instead of the 120AMP. He paused for 5 secs and said... If you don't mind having 20AMPs less, I guess. C'mon man...
Voltage spikes are not protected by anything.

You can easily cook modules.

Step one. Car off, disconnect negative terminal. Go through all earth points and clean them. Even slight corrosion causes problems/gremlins. There are quite a few earth points in the engine bay.

Get the battery load tested. You won’t do that with a multimeter. Have the charge circuit tested. You can buy a gadget that does that for around $50. Topdon make a good one.

On VE, the ECM will ration available voltage to various systems in low available voltage conditions. However on VZ low voltage seems to cause all sorts of seemingly random problems.

Battery health may well be compromised and the alternator no longer at its best.

Clean, tight earths, new alternator and new battery and you’ll bet this all goes away.

needinghelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04, VZ SV6
Voltage spikes are not protected by anything.

You can easily cook modules.

Step one. Car off, disconnect negative terminal. Go through all earth points and clean them. Even slight corrosion causes problems/gremlins. There are quite a few earth points in the engine bay.

Get the battery load tested. You won’t do that with a multimeter. Have the charge circuit tested. You can buy a gadget that does that for around $50. Topdon make a good one.

On VE, the ECM will ration available voltage to various systems in low available voltage conditions. However on VZ low voltage seems to cause all sorts of seemingly random problems.

Battery health may well be compromised and the alternator no longer at its best.

Clean, tight earths, new alternator and new battery and you’ll bet this all goes away.
Alright cool. Today I'm going to find and clean the earth's, replace the alternator and have the battery tested (Replace if needed). I'll post here how things go.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a major earth point behind the battery.
Clean with metho and scotchbrite at a push. COContact cleaner is better.
Clean the pins on it too.