Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible cost to fit harrop truetrac

thumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
6lt VZ Clubsport
vz clubsport diff not locking, looking to fit harrop truetrac. Or is there any alternative to harrop?. Thanks.

gts071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV GTS
There is a Kaaz but they are around the same price.

I got a quote to fit a Truetrac to my car with new bearings and it was going to be $600
I think Luke from WPS was quoting about $900

These pricing are for installation only.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
kaaz is a couple of hundred cheaper, well it was when i was looking into upgrading my centre. search 'kaaz' there is a thread where people are comparing the kaaz centre to a shimmed up standard lsd centre. a few people swore by the tightened up standard lsd.
myself, i got the kaaz and cant fault it, its great

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
vz clubsport diff not locking, looking to fit harrop truetrac. Or is there any alternative to harrop?. Thanks.

Another option is the Eaton Truetrac. Same internals as the Harrop, just not a billet housing. The Harrop is rated at 500rwkw and the Eaton 500rwhp (372rwkw). From memory the Eaton is about $500-$600 cheaper than the Harrop. Unless you're pushing big power/torque, I'd save the money and go the Eaton. Just my 2c.

gts071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV GTS
If you search around you can get a new genuine Harrop Truetrac for around $850-$900. Google is your friend :)

thumper

Reaction score
Members Ride
6lt VZ Clubsport
:beer chug:Thanks... I will let you know which way I went soon, Thanks again

mawsy

giggity giggity
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
is that $850 - $900 just the gears? or is the housing in there aswell?

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
To be completly honest guys you need to ask yourself the question, ive tested all 3 LSD types, Factory, KAAZ & the tru-trac, on street and track use.

What ive found with the KAAZ, very predictable when sliding the car around, or burnouts, broken a few, and many people around Australia have also broken many KAAZ's as well.

What ive found with the tru-trac is well designed for the street, ive tested one for the last 2 drag meetings and its coming out, both meetings the car wouldnt hook up, and would just wheel spin the entire track, overall result was 3-4 tenths slower at the 1/8 mile, this is what ive found, and its due to the design of the spiral LSD setup.....

In all honestly the factory LSD is the best by far for drag use, fastest 60ft's with a factory LSD, ive broken my fair share of rear driveline components, so do they take punishment "YES they do", however if you like to pull out of corners lighting the tyres the factory LSD isnt for you, as the cone design isnt capable of handling this type of abuse.

gts071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV GTS
Nice write up.

I have heard some different comments but I cannot give a personal opinion as I haven't installed mine yet.

I guess the reason I went with the Harrop is it requires very little maintenance and I am only a weekend warrior on the track to have fun, so it was the best choice as a good all rounder. As my current diff (Hydratrak) is so unpredictable as to when it will spin a single or twins I needed to do something and I didn't like the feedback regarding the noise of the Kaaz (I think difference oil and regular maintenance reduces this) and I didn't want to put a stock LSD so that made my choice easier.

I'll let people know how it goes when I get mine installed.