Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible crank angle sensor problem ?

chikxxCALAISvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Hi all... been having a bit of drama with my car lately, (auto trans) it stalls while I'm driving & although I have an idea what it may be, I thought I'd reach out for other opinions...

Symptoms -
I'll be driving & all of a sudden she will decide to stall from time to time (I've noticed this happens more so when it's warmer weather & before changing gears (higher revs), & also sometimes when I go to take off... sometimes after driving (no specific amount of time) if I turn it off & attempt to turn it on again it just doesn't want to turn over & end up having to sit there usually around 10-15mins before she decides she's ready to go.
I've also noticed that just before she's about to stall, it will start missing for a couple seconds before dieing.
Doesn't make any funny noises, doesn't over-heat or anything... she's running just as well as she did before this started happening.

I've been told by a few people it's the crank angle sensor, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this & could shed some light on another issue it may be...

Your response is greatly appreciated ! Thank you :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore

chikxxCALAISvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Thanks mate !
Copied down all the diagnostic test results in hope of finding the problem :)
Attempted to do the test, lifted the carpet in the passenger side kick panel but couldn't find the ECM or ALD, is it actually located behind the glovebox or something ?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
sometimes after driving (no specific amount of time) if I turn it off & attempt to turn it on again it just doesn't want to turn over
Do you mean it will crank over but not fire up, or simply not crank over?
If the latter, maybe you have dirty fuse contacts, bad relay, bad earth or something similar. Others could comment.
A bad crank angle sensor will not stop it from cranking over but it could stop it from starting.

chikxxCALAISvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Sorry mate I miss-worded that, it does actually crank over but doesn't want to fire up straight away.. sometimes I'll have to wait a couple minutes, other times I may have to wait 15mins.. but that doesn't happen every time, sometimes it might start up straight away after stalling.. it's quite unpredictable..
So considering that, what's your opinion of what it may be ?

chikxxCALAISvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Thanks heaps ! I checked out the link & copied each fault code to refer to but I had a little problem..
I pulled up the carpet of the passenger side foot panel, but couldn't find the ALDL or ECM.. they wouldn't be located actually behind the glove box by any chance ?
Thought I'd ask before I go ahead pulling all that **** apart hahaha

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
your ecu and aldl plug will be in the passenger side foot well. (sitting in the passenger seat) youll be knocking your left foot on the plastic carpeted trim cover. you dont need to take the cover off to get at the aldl plug. just get your head and a torch up in between the glove box and inner A pillar. should be hanging somewhere up in there.

chikxxCALAISvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Okay awesome, thanks! Hope it's as easy as you make it sound mate.
I'll have a suss of it tomorrow & let ya'll know how I go :)

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
sometimes the aldl plug is tucked in behind the top of the trim cover so it's not visible. Still shouldn't have to pull the trim off to get at it tho. Just feel around behind the top of the panel

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Can I just confirm that it is a V6?